• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello everyone!

Matt

Registered
Hi, I'm Matt and I was introduced to this forum by Jim :bwink: I only started turning (wood) a couple of months ago so very much finding my feet at the min :wink:
New lathe arrived yesterday :thumbs: along with mandrel so now looking for some blanks and pen kits!

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Matt, have you tested out the lathe yet? You will like it that i guarantee .. Be careful if you get into this penturning lark, i am now on first name terms with the bank manager .. If you need any help on anything be sure to ask, these guys will willingly help you out ... :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome Matt, you'll get some good advice on this forum.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Welcome to the forums Matt, have you tested out the lathe yet? You will like it that i guarantee .. Be careful if you get into this penturning lark, i am now on first name terms with the bank manager .. If you need any help on anything be sure to ask, these guys will willingly help you out ... :thumbs:

Jim is also on first name terms with the great train robbers!!!!! LOL:ciggrin::ciggrin::ciggrin:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Welcome Matt tread with care in pen making and on the forum just take a look around plonkers galore we even have our own resident pink panther and then there's Terry now that is a sad case poor man totaly lost it so please be kind to him most are only about 25 but just lake a good hard look at them they all look to be in there dotage I'm amazed I have managed to retain my sanity and good look so just be warned :thumbs::wink::thinks:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Welcome Matt ...you will learn much here, but watch out for the loonies.

PP...(Ed)

Matt

Registered

Thanks for all the replies guys :thumbs:

Yes, lathe came yesterday but without centres so I hadn't used it yet.... Told they are in the post so hopefully here for the weekend. Got it all set up and it sounds as smooth as silk so can't wait to try it out, had fun fixing it to my bench though with the holes underneath :thinks:

I've done a search and timberbits seems a good place to get kits and blanks from. Am I best to just stick to slimline kits to start with? Just looking for something to cut my teeth on really. I know I need to get the order to $80 for postage but am I likely to get hit for customs or handling charges as have got caught like that before :whistling:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Morning Matt from me in the Antipodies where the sun is shining and the world is peaceful enjoy the forum and your new passion penmaking I do and we all try to share in own way.

Kind regards Peter,:thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum Matt, you don't need to order 80 AUD worth from timberbits, the postage is on 5AUD which is cheaper than any postage you will pay here in the UK, and you will not get hit for duty.

Peter

Matt

Registered
Ok, thanks for that. I'll have another look at their website and get shopping..... I don't think I have ever had such an expensive hobby! :thumbs:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Ok, thanks for that. I'll have another look at their website and get shopping..... I don't think I have ever had such an expensive hobby! :thumbs:

Welcome Matt,

Timberbits is prob the best place for penkits... & you're right, it will be an expensive hobby, be warned. Try for some cheap blanks off ebay etc to begin with.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).