• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New to the forum - a couple of bowls

Ralphsputin

Hi I'm new! Just thought I'd pop up a couple of pics to give some idea of things I do besides pens.

WP_20131120_003.jpg

I had this slab of locally felled walnut lying round for ages before SWMBO told me she wanted a wide-edged bowl, I wanted pen blanks. It's about 10in diameter.

WP_20131123_002.jpg

This yew bowl (hollow form??) is about 9in diameter

Both are finished with 5 coats of Liberon Finishing oil after sanding sealer. Apologies for the pic quality, I'm never quite sure how best to photograph bowls!

Cheers!

Ralph

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Both very nice Ralph well turned and finished question why do you put sanding sealer on before you oil as it isn't needed all it will do is stop the oil from soaking into the wood I'm only saying this to be helpful not critical of your work but oil works better on its own and the shine goes deep into the wood but it will need more coats than when it is done your way happy turning

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Both very nice Ralph well turned and finished question why do you put sanding sealer on before you oil as it isn't needed all it will do is stop the oil from soaking into the wood I'm only saying this to be helpful not critical of your work but oil works better on its own and the shine goes deep into the wood but it will need more coats than when it is done your way happy turning

Hi again, Ralph - He's right - very nice bowls indeed! And as Woody says - if you apply the sealer you are preventing the oil from soaking in.

Don't be despondent about any comments, matey, they are all well-meant.

Bob.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Lovely bowls Ralph but as Woody says don't use sanding sealer when oiling your bowls and then try about 6 coats of oil and denibbing between each coat, I generally use 600 grit very gently to denib !!!!:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Ralphsputin

Sanding sealer or not to sanding sealer

Hi again, Ralph - He's right - very nice bowls indeed! And as Woody says - if you apply the sealer you are preventing the oil from soaking in.

Bob.

Primarily I find if I use a bit sanding sealer it raises the grain a bit. Then I give it a good rub down again with 400 or 600 grade until its nice and smooth. I take your point though and perhaps next time I'll forgo the sealer and rub down after the first coat.

What's the point of a forum if not to transfer ideas?

Cheers

Ralph

Jim

Grand Master
Two very well turned pieces Ralph, both well finished to a very good standard indeed .. :thumbs:

Ralphsputin

Apologies for a senior moment

Bob.

Now I sit here looking at them again, unusually for me I finished these off the lathe and I didn't use the sealer like I normally would!

I'll get my coat...

:goesred:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi I have no advice to give re finishes on bowls regarding products in the UK however you asked a question about improving photography so try to use a neutral background this gives separation and allows uninterrupted viewing of the bowls, look at turning magazines or art mags for Craft to see the better angles and also welcome again.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
They both look very well turned & finished Ralph :thumbs::thumbs:

Now I sit here looking at them again, unusually for me I finished these off the lathe and I didn't use the sealer like I normally would!

I'll get my coat...

:goesred:

From the sounds of things you`ll fit in well here mate, some on here are that old that their whole life is one long senior moment :whistling::whistling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).