• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ring tool

Ralphsputin

I got one of these in a load of turning tools I bought but it is the one tool I can't get to work without digging in. Cam anyone point me in the right direction. I only use it for end-grain turning.

Jim

Grand Master
When i first started turning i bought a lathe and gear from a bloke on the East Coast and a Ring tool was among the gear, i never mastered it either Ralph .. I later let it go to a new home ... :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Ralph you wont find many people using them on a motor driven lathe the ring and hook tools is one of the oldest designs of woodturning tools and the only advice I can give is keep it razor sharp and use it at an angle taking very light cuts when they first come into use was on a treadle / pole type lathe which only done about 3/5 revolutions per cut then went into reverse not the easiest tool to master on the modern lathes the new ring type of ring tools have been modified with a depth stop so to speak but if they are set wrong they will do the same thing good luck and happy turning

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Ralph,

Ring tools are great IF they are sharp as and used around centre height I have yet to meet someone who can sharpen correctly one of these tools.

A tool that does work is one of the new round carborundum disks that give you a number of cutting edges by rotation then chuck them in the bin the disks only mind.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
There ain't no tool gong near my ring pal.:noway1::noway1::noway1::mad:
Yes I have seen them and made a ring and stirrup tool for end grain work, still to be tried so until I do I can't help.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).