• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Axminster Deluxe Adjustable Pen Mandrel

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Yes Jim even before I had to stop turning I had two a 1mt and a 2mt for different lathes and got another one when I restarted is that a good reference for them regarding the reports about different bushes not fitting I have never experienced any such problems

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Jim, I still cannot come to grips with the real value of a pound in real terms ie the relationship to wages, house cost etc ad infinitum but...... this item seems to me to be a real answer and compromise between the really cheap unit sold by Timberbits that gives you all the conveniences for Slimlines that works perfectly and this unit that provides many more avenues of endeavor with variations in collet sizes etc then again at an additional cost per collet.

Then again it still hangs on a two morse taper.

IMHO the best method is to find a unit that locks onto the spindle thread accurately.

These are considerations for thought to get a balanced idea of which way to jump. Now if you can afford to buy this look at the additional costs to extend the range as well.

Trust this helps.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
i might treat my self to a new one before my one take my finger off who thought it would be a good idea to put a screw that stick out about 10mm from the main body :nonono::nonono:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
i have only just noticed it is also a collet chuck up to 13 mm now were is my debit card :devil::devil::devil:

Jim

Grand Master
Yes Jim even before I had to stop turning I had two a 1mt and a 2mt for different lathes and got another one when I restarted is that a good reference for them regarding the reports about different bushes not fitting I have never experienced any such problems

Thanks for that Woody ... :thumbs:

IMHO the best method is to find a unit that locks onto the spindle thread accurately.

To be honest Peter, i have never come across such a mandrel, do you have a link to one my friend ... :thinks:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
it will help me when doing catrige case pens when i am drilling the bullets and cases

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well having had 3 of them at different times with no problems at all you wont see me buying any other make there a third opinion

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have one and as Woody says I have experienced the bushes not fitting.
I have a rotor mandrel too. Now if I remember right, and I could be wrong.
The axminster bushes fit the rotor and the Axminster mandrels but not the TR, the Rotor accepts all bushes except the TR bushes, The TR accepts all bushes but with some play.
Or the Tr shaft only takes the TR bushes and they don't fit anything else. all can be overcome with a drill or a file but hey they should all be same size and they ain't init?
Is that right Woody you have all my bushes, I am starting again on the rotor as the Axminster is crap with now broken collets and a rusty shaft.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have used the one at the club, but I bought mine from TB at a fraction of the price, very little difference, but you do get a box with the Axminster one.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Terry my lathes use 1inch ten threads so the units made in the uSA dont fit they use 8 threads a lot so adapters etc I would like are out from over there. Sorry i do not have the familiarity in Computer transfer of info and no info at this time mate.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

alisboy

I have the axminster 1 and even though just starting out in this pen making lark it seems a good 1 as you can adjust the length of mandrel so no extra bushs to find to make even keyrings, plus with the extra collets that can come in handy for other small items.

Ernie

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).