• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

pen waste casting

Jim

Grand Master
It certainly is Smoker .. And a warm welcome to the forums ... :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
It is how you want to make it really, pour half of your resin into your container add the shavings there is no pattern to it, thou do not stir let the shavings settle thou they will not fully sink into the resin, wait a few minutes then use the rest of the resin, let it settle over the shavings so none is sticking out .. Wait for it curing ... :thumbs:

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
What is the best resin to use for this process. THANKS

My own personal choice is water clear polyester casting resin. It gives very good consisent results. Alumilite is also a very good product if a little expensive. Both have pros and cons, the polyester resin has to have the right amount of catalyst for the amount of resin being used which can be a bit hit and miss as things like ambient temperature need to be taken into consideration.
And the Alumilite is as I say quite expensive although it's easier to use as the two parts are mixed by equal weight, and because the curing process isn't exothermic like polyester tou wont get any surprises as it's going through the process.
Hope this is of some use.
Looking forward to seeing your results. :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the forum Smoker, I know nothing about casting so just a welcome.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Welcome to the asylum Smoker, only tried casting once a few years ago, was a bit iffy for me but may try again sometime!:thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).