• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Resin not curing

Shaver

First Name
Tam
As like most I use one end of my garage as my workshop. Normally I'm OK in this weather with a little fan heater going, but it seems to be too cold for resin to go off.

Can I help it along by increasing the hardener? Or will it be better to heat the place a bit better? Would mean me having to treat myself to a better heater. Don't really want to do this if it can be helped.

Jim

Grand Master
Resin really doesn't like the cold weather Shaver, adding more hardener doesn't help. I stopped doing any mixing when i learnt about this and do all mine during the summers hours .. Warming up your work area will help for sure .. But it is to you to weigh up the pros and cons for heating costs etc ... :bwink:

Shaver

First Name
Tam
My thoughts entirely Jim. I'm only playing at the moment as never done any casting before, and can't do it in the house or I'll get a clip around the ear from 'er indoors. :nonono: She goes on enough about the wood chip I bring in. No feeling these women.

I did guess that about the temperature, but thought I'd ask in case there was a dodge around. Many thanks.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Yes, the weather/temp has a big part to play with curing the resin.
If I do any casting in the winter I hide the resin and hardener in doors, usually in the spare bedroom near the radiator, so that it gets nice and warm. Haven't been caught yet. :devil:
Then I bring out to the garage and then cast, but you will need to get the garage warmish for it to work properly...

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
You can put the unmixed resin in a pot and put the pot in just boiled water, I always use an ultra-sonic cleaner with the hot water in that and it really helps to get rid of the bubbles. If you are using any tints or the like, put them in the resin before you put the MEKP and keep that to the minimum needed. Once poured keep it as warm as you can, you need to get a thermal reaction, the yanks cook it in an oven, I prefer to seal it and put it on the bathroom floor, which is heated:pray:

Peter

Shaver

First Name
Tam
Funnily enough I was thinking of an oven last night. I've got a 120w black heater, and thermostat from when I used to brew my own wine. I was thinking if I built a wood cabinet with the heater inside surely that would that be enough to cure it.

Another question, how long does the resin take to cure properly, and does it need to be kept at the warm temperature for the whole time. Or once hardened could I just bring them indoors to finish curing?

Please don't tell me they would still smell even then.

I used the heater at 20degC for wine, am I right in thinking that would be OK for resin?

Jim

Grand Master
Not sure about the Wine Shaver, but Resin at that temp would be fine within 24 hours ... :bwink:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Funnily enough I was thinking of an oven last night. I've got a 120w black heater, and thermostat from when I used to brew my own wine. I was thinking if I built a wood cabinet with the heater inside surely that would that be enough to cure it.
I would have thought it would help.
Another question, how long does the resin take to cure properly, and does it need to be kept at the warm temperature for the whole time. Or once hardened could I just bring them indoors to finish curing?
I always leave mine to cure for a few days at least. I once took out some blanks a couple of hours after they had hardened and they weren't kept flat and were slightly bent, so now I leave them in the tube or mould. Once hardened they can be taken in, but they still stink to high heaven, I Seal mine in plastic bags, but I can still smell them for days.
Please don't tell me they would still smell even then.

I used the heater at 20degC for wine, am I right in thinking that would be OK for resin?
They smell like a smelly thing, the warmer you can get the resin the thinner it becomes and the bubbles will disperse easier, that's why I put my resin in a plastic cup and the plastic cup in really hot water which is in the ultra-sonic cleaner.

Peter

Shaver

First Name
Tam
Many thanks for the help, got a better idea what I need to do now. May just leave it until the warmer weather to make it easier for myself.

Had a look at the IAP site, mind boggling the info to be had there.

ericofpendom

Apprentice Member
Hi Shaver,

I had the same concerns about the temp when I started casting so I utilised one of the cupboards in the garage. I lined it with 1" polystyrene and placed a small oil filled thermostatically controlled rad in there. I can leave it on all night and it only uses about 10 pence of electric, I have a smart meter so I have clocked the usage. Once I take the blanks from the pressure pot I just put them in the cupboard over night and they are fine. It's good for keeping the resin warm prior to use as well.

Eric...

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Morning Shaver I have a good mate called Les Elm in Canada who has published on the forum of the IAP and U Beaut the methods he uses to gain and keep temperature problems at bay from 20 odd below to roaring summer temps. His workshop is part of his house casting results he established are par exellence, is an innovator and multi talented leader in the field from when it first was used in penturning blanks that I remember. His info inthe libraries of IAP and U Beaut.

I mention this because Les is the inventor as well uses a bucket with simple home made methods to control the very things you mention and to my knowledge does not need to agitate, shake etc in his pours to acheive magic results. These thought only to broaden your horizen in casting I already have said and continue to admire the results acheived by guys on this forum worthy makers of blanks as well. Have you ever bought a set of tyres then every mate comes out of the woodwork with best advice how cheap, I have a mate etc well I prefer to help with advice before the event you did ask and my two bobs worth.

Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).