• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I'm only a man but...

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, guys,

Been meaning to post this for a while but kept forgetting... It may help you to avoid my humiliation...

A coupla weeks back I turned two of those Polygem blanks. Having been warned about the fine dust these create on the lathe, I taped the nozzle of my vacuum cleaner to the bed, and kept it on all the time I was turning/sanding. Still ended up with a film of dust all over the workshop, though! A day later I noticed that the hoover was performing under par - barely sucking anything up, and with the pipe clogging. Naturally I checked the removable cloth dustbag and, despite being only half-full, emptied it out. I refitted the bag but still no suck. Oh well, methinks, more expense coming up! Last week I had an earth-shattering thought equal to that experienced by Isaac Newton upon discovering the Laws of Gravity. I kid you not! A domestic hoover picks up dirt by a suction of air being drawn into the machine by a motor. The air passes through the dustbag, which acts as a filter, and then goes to atmosphere via the exhaust port at the other end. What if there's no through-flow of air? Bugger me! I thinks, removing the dustbag again. I sank the bag into a bucket of water, then lifted it out. Despite the bag being made of cloth and filled with water not a drop of it seeped through. Closer inspection revealed that the weave of the bag was completely clogged by the dust from the Polygem. Yeah, obviously it was partially clogged by the the other tiny debris from the floor but it seems as if the fine dust hammered the final nail in the coffin, so to speak. I gave the bag an overnight soak in warm soapy water, and after much mashing and masticating, dried it out. Bingo! The hoover now has more suck than a Sainsbury's lollypop! I triumphantly mentioned my success to the wife - who looked at me with complete disgust as if I should have known this from the beginning. So deeply ashamed was I that I exiled myself to the workshop for the rest of the day, marveling at my rejuvenated hoover. I'm only a man but...

Bob.

Jim

Grand Master
I bet there is a influx of men running into the shed right now Mr Bob Newton ... :bwink:

One for us to remember for sure .. Thanks for adding this Bob ... :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Well done sir ...but like Terry mentions imagine what that stuff can do to your lungs.... be very aware when turning it !!!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Bob, The domestic Goddesses of this world know a great deal about Vacuum Cleaners so no wonder the reaction, second choice read the manual another man thing we dont do, nice recovery anyway never just the same.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
There now double that a few times and think what soap stone can do to you it is far worst

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
That's a good one Mr Newton.. just spoke to Gold and was reliably informed that they do a Hoover without bags now..

Wow, I'm so much more domestically aware now..:devil: that should gain some extra points.....:thumbs:

Glad you wrote this thread as I would have never known about bagless ones:devil:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Umm, could you post a photo to show me what a vacuum looks like? :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Paulm,

This is a vacuum. The whale opens its gob and water + plankton are drawn in. The plankton goes into its stomach as food, and the water is ejected via the gills. If you substitute the plankton for dust and the water for air my hoover operates the same way. Ain't science wonderful? :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Bob.

Whale 2.jpg

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hi, Paulm,

This is a vacuum. The whale opens its gob and water + plankton are drawn in. The plankton goes into its stomach as food, and the water is ejected via the gills. If you substitute the plankton for dust and the water for air my hoover operates the same way. Ain't science wonderful? :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Bob.

View attachment 3260
So is that what I need for wet sanding Bob?

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Brian,

Yep, I think that will do the trick, but remember - this time it ain't only the jaws of the lathe you've gotta watch out for!!!

Bob.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
That's a good one Mr Newton.. just spoke to Gold and was reliably informed that they do a Hoover without bags now..

I had a Dyson in the workshop for about two days before it cooked itself, because they use HEPA filters that trap very tiny particles. Didn't take an hour for the filter to clog on sawdust after which the motor got hotter and hotter until it issued a cloud of smoke and expired ... Now I stick to 'Baggie' hoovers like Bobs.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).