• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Screw Thread Boxes

Jim

Grand Master
Are these any good, what i mean by this is do they do clean cuts when threading etc? :thinks:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
No good for pens Jim unless your pen is 2 foot long and 6 inches fat init?
I had limited success with one in the right wood for the right purpose but I was happy to give it away when finished with.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have used them for making tongue presses out of Maple one of the threads had to be 12" long and stand up to a lot of stress the other threads were about 1" long for assembly two uprights and the handle and they worked very well as do the taps that go with them but you cant rush it and some times some wax will help but they wont work on open grained wood though you get bits fall of
Other things I have made using them are standard lamps, table lamps, clocks, Victorian mirror stands, easels and well I think that may be it

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
So what should be used to put threads on pens? I've read about triple thread cutters but it seems a bit of a science.:rolling:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Jim, I have the 1" set if you want to try it before you buy, thought the ones in the link look expensive.

They give a very course thread & are a bit of a faff to set up & get right, I made some clamps with them I`ll post a picture up later.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That's great Doug... I'll give that a try and move up to pens. I've still got to give closed end pens a go first which is why I'm interested in Threading.

I don't think the uni-chaser will be much use for closed end pens. Taps and dies are the way to go for that.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).