• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tools for turning

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Not counting the lathe or its accessories what do you claim the 3 most important tools is used in woodturning.

For me they are.

1. Band saw
2. Sander
3. Dust extractor

Do you have a different view to mine? :bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
Good choice Tony, but a good sharpening system is a must so i chose this in place of the Sander. :thumbs:

1. Band saw
2. Sharpening System
3. Dust extractor

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Since I don't have a sharpening system I'd agree with Jim! Really need one!

I have a radial arm saw inherited from my dad (it's nearly as old as me) which is essential for cutting lumber into useable sizes - only if you don't buy prepared timber. Jointer/planer darned useful for preparing lumber too. As Tony says, the bandsaw is used all the time.

My baby is the CNC mill. Only became essential once I had it, because it opens up possibilities which didn't exist before. I'd hate to be without it now!

Yeah, yeah, I know - never could count to three! :devil:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
i've been looking for a bandsaw you years..
Never managed to find something I'm prepared to part with cash for yet.
Same for a pillar drill... (ive got four or five at work if i need) so i ll drill all my blanks with a drill stand..
I sharpen with a belt sander up side down in a vice...

If i need extraction, i let the lab in ....... he hoovers most stuff up...:bwink:

i would like a belt/disk sander combi as well......

I'll be better off soon....... so will sort ma self out.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).