• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Me doing a jig with my Grumps

Charly Cheeky Chops

Apprentice Member
Hi all.
I went into garage with my dad today to show him what I can do on the lathe, now very soon I hit a major obstacle.
I have always drilled on the lathe at Grumps and I don't have the luxury of his tools at home so I had to use my drill press.
I have never used this thing before so was relying on my dad to help, he did his best but still couldn't stop me from crying.
How do you drill through the blank when the drill wont go deep enough, "I want my Grumps" I was howling.
Dad phoned him up but couldn't understand what he was being told and he had to go to work so couldn't help me.
Now I am not a weepy sort of girl and having 3 brothers have had to toughen up, although I do girly things I do boys things too, and crying is not one of them.
I was sobbing uncontrollably, so much so that Angie put me in her car and drove me to my Grump.
Instant cheer when he said we do a jig and started dancing with me all the way to his shed, where he sat and explained if Mohamed won't come to the mountain then we must bring the mountain to Mohamed.
I was now having a drill press lesson where I learned quickly about quill travel and the reason for my frustration then Grumps explained how a screw car jack works and what a cam is, how we can apply those principles to lift my vice to the drill instead of getting the drill to travel further down.
We sat and mulled this over with a jam scone and cup of tea with pencil and paper it suddenly made sense to me, "I want to make it myself Grumps" and I did.
Grumps says lots of people have this problem and his pillar drill only does 50mm too so he would have same problem if he used it.
This is by no means perfection but it really works really well and I am soooo pleased with my creation.
Grumps said he will make me a metal one with a screw and if he likes it might go into production with the idea LOL.
P1070875 (Custom).JPG
View attachment 3277
The dowels are to keep it square as it lifts and the half circle acts as a cam to lift the platform, the vice is heavy enough to push it back down again.
Use the quill to full extent then elevate the platform to complete the bore, there is even room to put a sacrificial block at the base to prevent blowout
I hope it gives you the idea to improve upon this and make your own (yes Grump did help me write this)
Nan has made a bed for me and Grumps is taking a day off for me tomorrow cos I was so upset. we are gonna play again.
Love them soooo much.
View attachment 3277
P1070873 (Custom).JPG

And here is the pen that was in the drill. A Yew slimline with a different band, finished with superglue. hope you like my unexpected post today.

P1070879 (Custom).JPG

Big Hugs everybody:iluvu:

Attachments

• P1070872 (Custom).JPG
    P1070872 (Custom).JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 114
  • P1070871 (Custom).JPG
    P1070871 (Custom).JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 114

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
It a good jig i have the same problem with travel and have to stop and move the blank up every time i drill them but i might just have to make something along these lines

Charly Cheeky Chops

Apprentice Member
It a good jig i have the same problem with travel and have to stop and move the blank up every time i drill them but i might just have to make something along these lines

I didn't know I had to do that. I didn't do it at Grumps on his lathe but I don't have a chuck for my tailstock.
I wanted sooo much to show off to my dad and my dopey bro that I just couldn't bare not knowing what to do when it all went wrong.
Suppose I am like dopey says just a silly girl.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Well done Charly.. There are things that grandads are really good for, and that's proving that dad's know nothing.. :tongue:

Well done, keep it up you are an inspiration to us all and its nice to see you are willing to learn and take on using work bench tools.

Like the pen as well..:banana:

Charly Cheeky Chops

Apprentice Member
Thank you Mr Silver but I get so much inspiration from here so its nice we inspire each other.
Oh and my Grumps would just be the best ever Santa but he runs out of beer to fast and needs topping up too often.

MikeD

Registered
Hi C3,
best thing to do is confiscate Grumps equipment, it looks like you're already producing a better standard of work than him. He can come running over to see you then when he needs advice :winking:

Charly Cheeky Chops

Apprentice Member
Mr Steven1963 are you really that old? You talk like a young man but your so old (Grumps made me say that).
Grumps did say that lots of people have the same problem with their drills. Why?
If it is such a widespread and well known thing then why don't they make them longer or better or whatever they need to do ?
Why do you buy it if you know it won't do what you want.
I sound like Grump now, but just why?

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Well my one was a good price second hand so i went for it but when i was looking for one there were not many with the length of travel needed

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
As everyone else has said Charlotte. We all need a Grumps in our lives. Can I borrow him sometime?:winking:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Mr Steven1963 are you really that old? You talk like a young man but your so old (Grumps made me say that).
Grumps did say that lots of people have the same problem with their drills. Why?
If it is such a widespread and well known thing then why don't they make them longer or better or whatever they need to do ?
Why do you buy it if you know it won't do what you want.
I sound like Grump now, but just why?

Charly,

I am a LOT of years younger than Grumpa, dinosaurs were around when your Grumpa was a lad running around in short trousers!!!

To be honest, I had the pillar drill before I took up woodturning, but there is always a way around most things & I managed until I got a better pillar drill.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
When I first see this I though Grumps was taking you dancing :funny::funny::funny: nice one both of you

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hi everyone and thanks for your lovely comments on Charly's thread.
You can all have a slice of me when I get away from my current job.
I have applied for loads of different jobs, trying to get away from IT and looking ideally for part time so my Drain can get a job part time and we will manage just fine.
Unfortunately it's not an ideal world and have to grab what's available which is zilch at the moment.
Or develop something working from my shed (dunno what, any ideas suggestions or offers accepted).
Woody we did dance, that's what Charly thought too when I said we do a jig so we did LOL.
Sorry no pics of me dancing like my dad int?

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Brian,

Noticed an article in a mag about a guitar maker whose business is now mainly selling the tools to make guitars rather than the guitars themselves. Tools specifically for acrylic turning maybe, with your plastics background.
How about a product to rival the speed genie / record variable speed units.
How did the southerners get on with the plastic tubes you gave them?? any market with that if you have a lot to sell ?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Charly,

Pillar Drills are like everything else we buy on impulse or for a particular purpose and if it does what you want for everything thats mostly good luck not hindsight.

Now this same effect is felt on a large number of lathes also their thrust can be too short as well and because few manufacturers of woodlathes make them with precision simply sliding along the bed can be just as frustrating with wobbles and failures.

Pen making requires a longer throw and some pens are even longer and use longer blanks.

All of the things I mention result from makers trying to mass produce at the lowest cost.

It was only good luck for me my original Taiwanese Drill has most of a three inch throw but like most others had so so bearings and a poor chuck, coupled with a suspect motor, so I replaced all the bearings with quality noticed and measured the wobbles still there, chucked away the drill chuck and installed a larger, better quality one. As a Sparky in a former life I used to haunt the metal bins and collect electric motors good old British and Aussie made with lots of heft and plenty of metal in them. A well known thing about electric motors is they run incredibly better when designed and used on three phase not the ordinary single phase something the extra windings take care of.

I upped the horsepower to one horsepower as well.

So even with mediocre manufacturing there are some modifications that will help.

Years ago I lucked out at a garage sale and picked up a tail stock ex beaut metal lathe it has a four inch precise throw its now on my old lathe that suffered from being to short a throw.

As in all purchases you mostly get what you pay for or you get on the net do some research before purchasing and there are so many places that help as does this forum.

I am following with great kindness your progress and smiling as you recount your adventures admiring your efforts to understand and progress pleas keep going and give your grandpa a hug especially for his desire to help and nurture.

Your penmaking gives you both a shared experience you will never forget. As a grandfather of 21 and great grandfather of 25 as well we only have one granddaughter living in Canberra near us and we so enjoy her company she is joined at the hip with my wife Wilma is one off a black belt in Tai Quon Do into everything. She has come to Church with us for years now so we share so many great experiences.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred::rolling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).