• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

wet wood 2

alisboy

Hi all

Just to let you see the results of my little attempt at ROUGHING out some wet wood on Saturday the size as seen is approx 6" across and 4.5" deep. you can see some cracking on picture 2 but that was already there. This is my first go at wet wood.

Woody you were right when i started to turn it i thought the shed had a leak, but no bugs. (good call).

I have put it in paper towel, news paper and into a plastic bag and will check and change every few of days or so?

Comments as always Thanks

Ernie:pray:

Attachments

• Wet 1.JPG
    Wet 1.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 35
  • wet 2.JPG
    wet 2.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 35

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I may be wrong but I thought it shouldn't go into plastic. I have dried bowls out by putting them in a cardboard box packed with the shavings from turning it. I've had good success with this method although I don't do it a lot anymore.

alisboy

Hi paulm
Not sure of wood type and was not sure of how to store and did not have anything to put it in at the time. I will more than likley change it in next couple of days.

Ernie

Attachments

• morse1.jpg
    morse1.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 3
  • morse2.jpg
    morse2.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 3

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Ernie,

I'd stick it in a paper bag rather than plastic. Also, if you still have them, stick the shavings in there as well. Good luck!!!

Bob.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Ernie I'm not sure about the paper towelling I think it will dry the wood out to quickly I would use some of the shavings the plastic bag will make some of the liquid stay in there and it could go mouldy which I have done in the past for a different effect but good luck with it although it will probably split as there is already a weakness with that crack

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Any wet turning I do takes it own chance, it will do whatever it wants no matter what you try with it.
I would just fill it water and leave it outside to the elements its better off out there where it has lived all it's life rather being heated or subject to artificial changes.
Good luck I hope it stays intact for you.

alisboy

Thanks woody i will change the paper for shavings tomorrow and put in paper bag. I have another 3 bits to turn and am going to try different things with each just to get an idea how it works

Ernie

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
am going to try different things with each just to get an idea how it works

Keep us informed Ernie, interesting experiment and I hope you turn it into a precise science,
I do believe each piece will react of it's own accord and just when you think you have sussed it you will get a surprise.
Don't use exotic woods for this just in case of disappointment init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).