• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sounds familiar

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I had seen this before somewhere but I saw it again this morning posted on UKW forum. It all sounds very familiar:

"Recently, I was diagnosed with “AAADD” - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

Thank goodness there's a name for this disorder. Somehow I feel better now, even though I have it!! This is how it manifests itself:

I decide to water my garden. As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide it needs washing. As I head towards the garage, I notice post on the porch table that I picked up from the postman earlier. I decide to go through it before I wash the car. I put my car keys on the table, put the junk mail in the recycling box under the table, and notice that the recycling box is full. So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the recycling first. But then I think, since I'm going to be near the postbox when I take out the recycling paper anyway, I may as well pay the bills first. I take my cheque book off the table and notice that there is only one cheque left. My extra cheques are in the desk in my study, so I go into the house to my desk where I find the cup of coffee I'd been drinking. I'm going to look for my cheques but first I need to push the coffee aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over. The coffee is getting cold, and I decide to make another cup. As I head toward the kitchen with the cold coffee, a vase of flowers on the worktop catches my eye - the flowers need water. I put the coffee on the worktop and discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning. I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers. I put the glasses back down on the worktop, fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote control. Someone left it on the kitchen table. I realise that tonight when we go to watch TV, I'll be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers. I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor. So, I put the remote back on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill. Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day: The car isn't washed, the bills aren't paid, there’s a cold cup of coffee sitting on the kitchen work-surface, the flowers don't have enough water, there is still only 1 cheque in my cheque book, I can't find the remote, I can't find my glasses, and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all bloody day and I'm really tired out. I realise this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I think I'll check my e-mail.

Don't laugh - if this isn't you (yet), your day IS coming!!"

For the benefit of any self appointed arbiters of good taste who might think this is any way intended to make fun of or offend sufferers from the serious and debilitating condition of Alzheimers disease it is not, it is a joke about the general absent mindedness that accompanies getting older and which I recognise only too well. :ave_it:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Do you qualify at 53? Been busy trying to get things done this morning and havent got anywhere so went down town to put money in the bank, and do something else, but came back with an order from the chap in the post office who wants a fountain pen for his dad.

I was posting an order and he asked me, as they are now instructed to do, what was in the box, so I rather blank faced told him it was a dirty movie. A bit taken aback I corrected my self and said only kidding its a consignement of forged £50 notes, adding that if it was anything illegal did he really expect me to tell him? I came clean and told him it was a hand crafted fountain pen and since it was bound for Glasgow could he tell me what next years international rates would be? He asked for my website address and has ordered a fountain pen!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Wot was I going to say Rodger ang on just got to go and eeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr oh well see you soon Ted

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
For the benefit of any self appointed arbiters of good taste who might think this is any way intended to make fun of or offend sufferers from the serious and debilitating condition of Alzheimers disease it is not, it is a joke about the general absent mindedness that accompanies getting older and which I recognise only too well. :ave_it:

Think I missed that particular argument.

''Arbiters of good taste'' - on this forum??? :funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny: give over, there aint any of them on here!!!

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
A couple of times I have made a tea or coffee, someone phones and when I have finished speaking I remember my drink, but it is nowhere to be found so I give in and make another one. The milk is already out of the fridge because I forgot to put it back the first time, I put milk in and put the milk back in the fridge and lo and behold there is my first drink, obviously I had decided to have it iced and put it in the fridge.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
We were playing cards one night and My Father won a kitty which he promptly scooped up and placed in his cut of tea that was the end of the game for me I just couldn't stop laughing

Jim

Grand Master
Well it did make me smile, only cos i could see myself in among all those words ... :ciggrin:

I do like these little detailed messages, it brings out something in us all .. Well us from 53 and over ... :winking:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Yeah I've reached it and now they have a name for it.
“AAADD” - Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder. I think I'll lay down after I .....???? forgot what I was going to do now...:funny::funny:

Attachments

• My light open box.JPG
    My light open box.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 6

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Walter, I found your story most amusing and find myself in all kinds of dilemna these days considering I have 4 children older than you and at 79 relate to this in a milder way. Neil your story as well. Sometimes I get really angry at stupidity not promoted by deficciency or age related. Twenty odd years ago I went to our local govt said the the guy at the counter I am looking to install a water bore on my property he said no way theres no law says you can, with this I made a sudden move as if I was going to jump the counter he leapt back said are you fair dinkum my reply yes now consider this very carefully no law says you can same logic no law says that I can not. He conceded then I learnt his govt was not in charge of groundwater in Canberra anyway it was the bureau of mineral resources anyway I put the bore in. We have violent drought times lasting quite some time been grateful ever since. None of this any excuse for me with car remote trying to open the front door. Good news recently Canberra increased the height of our main dam to 27 times its former capacity.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).