• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ebonite source

ZuluTiming

Is there a source of 18mm-20mm diameter Ebonite rod in UK? Black would do.
I have some 13mm sold as “science ebonite” but it works and stinks properly from sulphur in it :vomit:

ZuluTiming

I have sent an email to Ebonite manufacture Ltd. in Hitzacker and received a reply with colour codes and prices.
The price for black one seems OK but the others seem expensive, I think.
I will check the other places as well...

Attachments

• eboFORM color codes 2013.pdf
    550.5 KB · Views: 36
  • SEM eboFORM rods pricelist English Euro Rev 02.pdf
    90.6 KB · Views: 33

ZuluTiming

Hi,

i was told a while ago and i haven't tried yet to try pipe making forums.
If that helps.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I've heard that as well so I went and searched it a bit, stumbled on this post. There is a seller in Germany and Under Material/Bar Material/Ebonite there is a ebonite price list. The Cumberland is cheaper than SEM's as far as I can see (The pdf price list).
:thinks:

ZuluTiming

Janzen Pfeifen
18mm rod
Black € 40,- (€ 47,60 incl. VAT)
Cumberland € 44,- (€ 52,36 incl. VAT)

http://sem-ebonite.com/
Black €37,75 (€41.50 )
Cumberland €71,25 18

NYH - New-York Hamburger Gummi-Waaren Compagnie AG They have a minimum order, according to pipe makers/ did not ask for prices

Color Ebonite Rod For Tobacco Pipe Or Sounding Rod - Buy Color Ebonite,Sounding Rod,Tobacco Pipe Product on Alibaba.com
The name of the company is NIKKO EBONITE MFG, the factory is in Japan. The prices are in Yen.

This is from an actual email:

Thank you for your inquiry.

[Black]
The price of polished ebonite rod is as follows.
Diameter 18 mm X 1000 mm in lengths : 1500JPY / pc
Diameter 20 mm X 1000 mm in lengths : 1800JPY / pc
The price of unpolished ebonite rod is as follows.
Diameter size is a little thicker(about 1mm).
Diameter 18 mm X 1000 mm in lengths : 1300JPY / pc
Diameter 20 mm X 1000 mm in lengths : 1500JPY / pc
[Color]
The color polished rod price is as follows.
Dia.18mm x 1000mm long : 5700JPY/pc.
Dia.20mm x 1000mm long : 6500JPY/pc.

Please let me know the following information for shipping.
- Order quantity.
- Recipient's address.
- Recipient's phone number.

Industrial Laminates & Plastics | Phenolic Fabric Grades | SRBP Tube & Sheet
This is from an actual email:

Many thanks for your valued enquiry for which we offer:

Black Ebonite Rod, 20mm diameter x 1000mm long***************** @ £ 51.88 per mtr
Black Ebonite Rod, 25mm diameter x 1000mm long***************** @ £ 93.40 per mtr
Black/Red Ebonite Rod, 18mm diameter x 1000mm long************** @ £ 45.98 per mtr
Black/Red Ebonite Rod, 22mm diameter x 1000mm long************** @ £ 62.90 per mtr

Above items are the rods we have in stock near to your size.
All prices are in GBP Sterling and are ex works.
Payment is accepted by credit card but, would be subject to a 3% surcharge to cover costs incurred

I am waiting for shipment prices from NIKKO EBONITE as they seem the cheapest. I do not know how much will Custom and Excise hit me.

Jim

Grand Master
Many thanks for your valued enquiry for which we offer:

Black Ebonite Rod, 20mm diameter x 1000mm long***************** @ £ 51.88 per mtr
Black Ebonite Rod, 25mm diameter x 1000mm long***************** @ £ 93.40 per mtr
Black/Red Ebonite Rod, 18mm diameter x 1000mm long************** @ £ 45.98 per mtr
Black/Red Ebonite Rod, 22mm diameter x 1000mm long************** @ £ 62.90 per mtr

Above items are the rods we have in stock near to your size.
All prices are in GBP Sterling and are ex works.
Payment is accepted by credit card but, would be subject to a 3% surcharge to cover costs incurred

I am waiting for shipment prices from NIKKO EBONITE as they seem the cheapest. I do not know how much will Custom and Excise hit me.

Looking at these prices ZT, if you could get someone to share the cost it could be cheaper than buying from abroad and paying Custom and Excise etc ... :thinks:

ZuluTiming

Update

I ordered some ebonite from holbourne.co.uk. Two rods 18mmm, 1m lenghth each. Order in total £119.95. Here is the invoice.

Just to compare the prices I ordered some ebonite from Japan as well. The price was £119.36 GBP and I paid £35.52 GBP towards Customs. In total £154.88 for 4 black, one Red/Black, one Deep Green/Black, all 18mm.

I did not work out the prices as yet but it seems that the Japan one is cheaper.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
David (jimjam) was going to order some, I don't know how far he got... where is he anyway I haven't seen a post from him for a while.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).