• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Trend router lathe

Jim

Grand Master
Does anyone have any knowledge on these? Starting to look for one on the net, seems to be dry at the moment ... :thinks:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Just searched this mate, why are you after one of these? You not mentioned this before. :whistling:

Jim

Grand Master
Looks like an overgrown Beall Pen Wizard! Haven't come across one before, sorry Jim.

In reality David, that is just what it is, but this came before the pen wizard. I believe Trend stopped making this in 2004?

MikeD

Registered
I have one of these but have not used it for something as small as a pen. It uses 1/4" router cutters which have to be fairly long to reach past the carriage. I'm not certain if it would be a good tool for pens but I'll give it a try and let you know

Jim

Grand Master
I believe you may be correct on this Mike, after looking into this a little with a guy at work he said the same! The best way of doing what i want is coming in from the side ... :bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I believe the Spectra router lathe is still in production but our internet security won't let me log on to their site to check.
You may have some luck with a Google of it.
Here is a pdf file of the Trend version which has some good pictures and excellent information to work with.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trend-uk.com%2Fen%2Fuk%2Ftrend%2Fcontent%2Fdownload_file.php%3Ffile%3DaW5zdF9ybGF0aGUucGRm&ei=R0SNUZS0KofB0QXtqYCADg&usg=AFQjCNFNke8SvVO_s-OoBYmqJ8RVF8X4dQ&sig2=u6ehiVLz34TRB6zYDkmvGg&bvm=bv.46340616,d.d2k
I did look at the Beale pen wizard and thought it was a pile of overpriced poop for what it does.
Although the subject has given me some thoughts and ideas for a homemade version when I can get near some tools.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
A bit of threaded stud, a few guide bars maybe a bearing or 2 block of wood and a dremmel all plonked on your lathe bed with a handle job done I think.
Its already been made in my head just got to put it into practice.

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for the link George :thumbs: I remember when the wizard first came out, i watched the videos a few times but it didn't take me long before i gave up the ghost ... :bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
There are two now showing on ebay that i am watching Mark. but to be honest i doubt that i will be investing in one of these unless Mike comes back and says he can get low enough for pen making ... :thinks:

trapper

Registered
Jim sorry to tell you but Trend discontinued this about five years ago and when i asked if the held any old stock they told me they had been destroyed apparently it was considered to compromise their overpriced cnc machines. I know there is one available in the states I'll look out my notes I cannot think of the name at the minute. If you have a lathe bed lathe rather thana rod bed there is a way of using a router on your lathe used with an indexing ring on the headstock. I slightly different setup for a rod bed lathe you still need the indexer this works if your looking to machine flats or slots. Let me know which and I'll pm you the details. If yu want to cat spirals or patterns its Robert Sorby for his enhancing tools

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks Steve, but i have given up on this item after reading and finding out that it wasn't what i needed. I have built indexing and only want to be able to come in from the side to put grooves into wood ... :thumbs:

MikeD

Registered
I have finally had time to have a good look at my router lathe.
Positive aspects:- Yes it is possible to machine very small diameters and cut spirals and grooves into the bodies. It is also possible to make a template to repeat a specific profile if you want to make a series of similar items.
Negative aspects:- The unit was designed to machine furniture size components and producing small items means there is very limited visibility. The wood has to be mounted between centres and the recommendation is the wood should be at least one inch square. The centres provided with the machine are specific to the machine so it is not possible to mount centres using a morse taper.
So, you can produce pen sized components but you would need to cut them out of a thick piece of wood and then drill a hole through and finish off on a conventional lathe.
The approach suggested by Jimjam66 looks better and you could use a Dremel type of tool instead of a full size router

Jim

Grand Master
Mike, thanks very much for that review, it is very informative and forward which will help me tremendously. :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).