• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Turning Burr - Advice required

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
At the end of the day Phill it depends what you want if you want a natural edge bowl then first find the middle and flatten that I use fostner bits in a drill but it can be a bit dodgy the best way if you have a pillar drill that will reach the centre then keep drilling again with a fostner drill bit moving it around the centre till you have an flat area large enough to take your faceplate or screw chuck then turn the out side including a recess for your chuck jaws.
Remove blank from the lathe remove faceplate / screw chuck remount on the lathe and complete the removal of the inside taking care to keep a narrow band of natural edge and finish with your desired finish personally I would use oil.
If you want an ordinary bowl with most of the burr inside the bowl and no natural edge then just mount your faceplate on the flat side and turn as you would an ordinary bowl there I think that covers it if not let me know and I will turn a bit of burr I have and take some photos but you will have to wait till next week as I will be on our stall from Fri to Sun
Good luck Phill I hope this is of help to you mate

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Phil,

Looks bigger in the photo but having seen the sizes mentioned it shouldn't be too difficult as long as you start off SLOW.
Put your faceplate on the burr side, use shims under the faceplate to make it level if needed. 6 screws will do if your faceplate takes that many.
Turn the base so you have a recess or sticky out bit, whichever you prefer holding in your chuck with. Also turn some of the outside of your base shape at this point too.
When done, put it into your chuck and turn a rather nice bowl with chunky edges, see Woody's recent burr bowl for inspiration.
Like I said take it slow, lathe speed wise, to begin with as the blank will be uneven in weight, try to get your faceplate in the middle as much as possible to begin with too & for heavens sake keep your fingers out the way.
But, once you've done it you'll be wondering what the fuss was about. Make your first one of these a nice simple bowl and then something else next time.

Have fun

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Warning - looks wet?? Rough turn it first and put it away for six months. The wood will contract very unevenly and end up rough as a bears arse if you turn it too quick.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Neil,

How many experiences have you had gazing at the nether regions of a bear to determine the roughness of its bum seems you get around and about more than most.

Phil have fun with the blank why not take up the offer by the seller and see a pic of his effort and get some more real info on the blanks age, condition re wet or dry? etc starting from in front is easier than conjecture from behind, then apply the suggestions validly offerred already mate.

Kind regards Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
It should be fine to use Phill the guy you got it from has already turned some of it go for it mate

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks all, the prep for mounting was the bit I was struggling with, so some great help there.

I may well see if I can get some pics off the guy, good idea.

How do you judge if something is wet ? This feels as light as a feather so I'm assuming it's dry but I'll double check with the seller.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Phil,

Like Woody says (& I assumed) you would be doing a natural edge bowl but it's really up to you & how adventurous you are / feel:whistling::whistling::whistling:
The faceplate can go on either side & as it's your first one, do whichever's easiest for you and try the harder way next time.

Have fun

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I'm probably gonna give this a go tomorrow, day off ! :banana:

Will try the "create a flat face" and shove a screw chuck in it I think.

If I'm not around for a few days you know it didn't hold and I can't type due to having 2 black eyes :funny::funny:

Wish me luck.

First natural edge bowl coming up ( I hope ) :nooidea:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have every faith in you Phill go for it mate I'm expecting to see a great looking natural edge bowl

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).