• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sapele Box/Trinket

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
This is the second box i have turned it in sapele it about 3 1/2 diameter it finished with friction polish

DSCF7183.JPG

DSCF7190.JPG

And a little detail on top

DSCF7188.JPG

Comments welcome

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Very nice Alex. I watched Simon Hope making boxes once and he puts pewter into the top of his. Yours is almost apple shape at the top and I might have been tempted to put a blackwood stalk in it to lift the lid. Having said that yours is very nice and sometimes things should just be left alone.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
i am thinking of doing one with a black wood top piece

The main problem making this was i wanted to turn the inside of the lid out but it would not fit on my Cole jaws or any of my other ones how would you lot chuck it up to hollow the inside out

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
i am thinking of doing one with a black wood top piece

The main problem making this was i wanted to turn the inside of the lid out but it would not fit on my Cole jaws or any of my other ones how would you lot chuck it up to hollow the inside out

Alex the way to do it is to do the wall on the outside and make a spigot on the top grip it is your chuck remove the inside then turn it around and finish the top job done good luck you could still do it but the top would have to change shape now and it would still look nice

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).