• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

WIP - Oak Bowl

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
A Friend of mine asked me to make an oak bowl for him.

After a few questions, the responses to which were pretty vague, I said I would turn a bowl, and if he liked it he would have it.

This is the outside, currently with one layer of Danish Oil (clear) on it:

oakbowl1.jpg oakbowl2.jpg

Two more coats will go on tomorrow (one before I go to work and one when I get home) and then I can turn it round and do the inside. Same Danish Oil treatment for the inside.

This should give me enough time to find some bowl reversing jaws for my Patriot Chuck to be able to take the tenon off!

Hope you like

Coll

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Looking good Coll you dont need reversing jaws for a bowl of that size there are two ways of doing it one make a flat wad of towelling cloth or paper folded evenly place it ever your chuck then put the bowl over it and as you have marked the centre of the spigot you can bring the tailstock up and apply a bit of pressure to the bowl with it that way you can remove most of the spigot on the lathe and the small dimple left by hand
Another way is to turn a disk that will fit on your chuck one side and will fit inside the bowl soften the edges facing the bowl cover it with cotton towelling and fix it to the disk with staples and then follow the same procedure as above good luck

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
Thanks Peter. I sent my mate those pics and he is very happy. He had hoped I would use the Danish oil so that was a stroke of luck on my part!

Woody - makes perfect sense! Jamb chuck. :) thank you! Been so into the pens recently I had forgotten that!

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Lovely Job Coll, its been a long time since I done anything other than pens. I keep trying but it always ends up as a pen :thumbs: Oak smells lovely when turned, its probably my favourite.

Jim

Grand Master
That Danish Oil is sure giving the Oak a beautiful finish Coll, looking forward to seeing the finished article ... :thumbs:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Nice one Coll

Y wait to turn the inside tho?
One of Woodys other gems is a piece of plywood with panel pins driven through it in rows, makes a stand for bowls etc to sit on. Oil it on this stand, inside & out, after you've finished turning it, then you're not waiting for oil to dry and unable to do the rest.:thumbs::thumbs:

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
Nice one Coll

Y wait to turn the inside tho?
One of Woodys other gems is a piece of plywood with panel pins driven through it in rows, makes a stand for bowls etc to sit on. Oil it on this stand, inside & out, after you've finished turning it, then you're not waiting for oil to dry and unable to do the rest.:thumbs::thumbs:

Why wait? Because I am such a N00b that I didn't think of this! Put another coat on this morning before coming to work. Will re-oil this afternoon and then remove from the lathe (it's on a faceplate) so SWMBO can make some pens for gifts. :)

Ty!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Why wait? Because I am such a N00b that I didn't think of this! Put another coat on this morning before coming to work. Will re-oil this afternoon and then remove from the lathe (it's on a faceplate) so SWMBO can make some pens for gifts. :)

Ty!

The only problem you may have is wood movement when the outside is done one day and the inside another day and depending how much moisture is in the wood it can be quite dramatic and ruin the while thing even a change in the weather will effect it.
Even a bowl finished in one session will not stay symmetrical it will continue to move for the rest of its life even taking it from one climate or one room to another will move
I always finish a bowl in one session if I haven't got time to finish it then I wont start it n

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).