• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Some Ideas Please

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
I have this gorgeous piece of walnut that I don't really know what to do with.

I had a smaller piece that I made into a goblet, but don't want to do the same with this as I think it will lose too much of the wood.

I thought about a tri-axis cup (like robbie the wood turner did on YouTube a couple of weeks ago) but that is, I fear, a little too advanced for me at the mo.

So, any ideas would be much appreciated. I you can read them, the dimensions are in mm.

tIA

Coll

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386877767.204320.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386877767.204320.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 54

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Some boxes like a mushroom box were the top come of and the stem is the box some fruit Apples candle stick decorative box bunch of onions
6.JPG 17.JPG10.JPG13.JPG2a.JPG

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Strewth, that Woody geezer is showing off again! I'm disgusted with him - but only because I'm so jealous of his skills!!!

Bob.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
WOW! Woody, just when I thought I was getting reasonable at this woodturning malarkey you put those pics up and knocked me right off my pedistool. Fantastic stuff.

:thinks:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
If I was to turn that I would probably go for a waisted vase, by changing the flow of the curve from convex to concave about 2/3 the way up the piece there will be some dramatic grain patterns that will enhance the piece. If you don't feel up to hollowing it you could drill it with a forstner piece and insert a straight sided glass vase insert that you can get from TR amongst others and use it as a real vase.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I have this gorgeous piece of walnut that I don't really know what to do with.

I had a smaller piece that I made into a goblet, but don't want to do the same with this as I think it will lose too much of the wood.

I thought about a tri-axis cup (like robbie the wood turner did on YouTube a couple of weeks ago) but that is, I fear, a little too advanced for me at the mo.

So, any ideas would be much appreciated. I you can read them, the dimensions are in mm.

tIA

Coll

Coll,

I am no expert but I wouldn't follow this guy, its a recipe for disaster. The way that he attempts to clean up the bottom was so predictably going to be a disaster. That's not a jam chuck, per se, that he fits on to the headstock, and the reason it was dangerous is exactly the reason that you should never part right through when turning between centres. If you want to have a go at tri axis turning do it with some really gash wood to start with. The distance that you offset the turning centres from the centre of the piece will determine the severity of the twist. The more severe the twist then the thicker the walls of the finished item will have to be. When you do these, always record and keep the dimensions of what you do and this will give you greater confidence that what you plan with a good bit of wood will actually turn out to be the item you hoped and not a cumbersome thick sided twisted piece of firewood!

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Coll,

Because I'm sad and having to set up later this morning at a fair in Huntingdon, I have the plasterers in this morning and I need to remove some wallpaper. So its 4.30 am and I'm removing wallpaper!! Have a cup of coffee and a break and watch the video on the tri axis cup. Back to the wallpaper removal, its six o'clock and there was something really bugging me about the video, something was really dangerous in it but what was it?

Got it, look eight minutes into it. He recommends using a steb centre in the headstock, correct, but then a ring centre in the tailstock????

He has been to great pains using a bradawl to put an indentation in the tailstock end of the balnk and then tells everyone to use a ring centre. Using a ring centre in that situation is one sure way to get a face full of blank! Because the blank is not square between centres only a section of the ring, essentially a crescent, will be in contact with the wood. Not clever and very dangerous.

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
Coll,

Because I'm sad and having to set up later this morning at a fair in Huntingdon, I have the plasterers in this morning and I need to remove some wallpaper. So its 4.30 am and I'm removing wallpaper!! Have a cup of coffee and a break and watch the video on the tri axis cup. Back to the wallpaper removal, its six o'clock and there was something really bugging me about the video, something was really dangerous in it but what was it?

Got it, look eight minutes into it. He recommends using a steb centre in the headstock, correct, but then a ring centre in the tailstock????

He has been to great pains using a bradawl to put an indentation in the tailstock end of the balnk and then tells everyone to use a ring centre. Using a ring centre in that situation is one sure way to get a face full of blank! Because the blank is not square between centres only a section of the ring, essentially a crescent, will be in contact with the wood. Not clever and very dangerous.

Mad, mad, mad! Stripping wallpaper at 4.30am? I can think of much better activities at that time of the morning!!

There were a few things that bugged me about the video, but I love the final design. I don't have a steb centre for my chuck yet, it's on the Christmas list so fingers crossed.

I had to look again at what the ring centre was and, yeah, I had the same thought when I first saw it. Would much prefer a standard live centre that's actually gonna push into the wood.

There's another video on "th tube" featuring a lady called Barbara Dill. I can't link it as I can't get to it at the moment. She seems to be the "expert" in this style of turning, it's what she does most of the time.

I agree about using scrap wood to learn the method and once I get a steb centre I will give it a go. I will probably have used this bit of walnut by the time I get round to that though. Thinking I rather liked the bud vase idea, inserting the glass vial into the stem. Just need a 19mm forstner bit now. Will this "need to buy" ever end??? :sob: :winking:

Thanks for taking the time to comment everyone, it's much appreciated!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
If you are going to make a tri centre vase with a curve the best centres to use are headstock a steb or a ring centre with a spike tailstock the same but revolving there is no other way of doing it from top to bottom you can do just the top or bottom by using your chuck and an ordinary centre
340138_xl.jpg718165_xl.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).