• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Natural edge Burr - Disaster !

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well after wanting to do one of these for ages I grabbed a blank on ebay.

When it arrived it did feel light, but not having anything to compare it to thought it must be OK.

As per Woodys advice flatten off the top bit to put the faceplate on, all good so far.

Nice and slow to square off the base, bit rough looking, started to shape up the outside and it's as rough as a bears arse, sharpened gouge and really really fine cuts, still rough.

I can push my finger nails in this bloody thing it's that dry and flaky.

Anyway, soaked base in thin CA then managed to cut a deep dovetail (thought it might need it).

Mounted in chuck, not too tight but holding, nice and slow again very gently start to cut out the burr on top and lo and behold the thing rips out of the chuck across the shed !

Pick it up , look at base and sure enough the dovetail is ripped to bits.

Some pics of the offending article before it's impromptu flight.

I've had better days !

So, is it a crap blank or did I do something wrong?

IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
I'd complain to the seller, Phill, this is NOT what you expect when buying a bowl blank. Was it an eBay purchase? If so then re-read the advert for it. If the stated condition doesn't meet with your bowl then send the geezer an email pronto!!!

Let us know how you get on.

Bob.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That bit of wood looks worse than I do on a morning after a good night out... like a badgers arse.

I would suggest getting your money back from the seller too.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I wouldn't trust a dovetail into wood that soft. Have you tried a skew to see if you can get a good finish at all?

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Sorry I didn't notice in the original post that you said the dovetail broke up, I have just reread it.

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
Good luck with it Phill, no matter what you would have used on this burr i doubt that you would have got a decent shape ... :nonono:

Shaver

First Name
Tam
I can only agree with the others Phill, that timber looks so punky it's surprising it got to you in one piece. Any other wood I would have said it could be you, or blunt tools, but Birch is notorious, if you want it spalted you virtually have to sit beside it day and night then and grab it just before it goes soft. Not a nice timber to work with unless you can catch it right.

I would try to get your money back, but if not that wood will never hold a gripping point. What I would do is glue another piece of timber to the foot, after soaking the bowl wood with sanding sealer/super glue to harden it first. Once everything is dry cut a spigot in the new wood and work from that. Another trick is to saturate the bowl with sanding sealer, let it dry and try to turn it again. Basically trying to stabilise the wood. If 'twas me I wouldn't waste time on it, unless you really want a challenge?

Trouble is when Birch gets like that it don't even make good firewood.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
I'd complain to the seller, Phill, this is NOT what you expect when buying a bowl blank. Was it an eBay purchase? If so then re-read the advert for it. If the stated condition doesn't meet with your bowl then send the geezer an email pronto!!!

Let us know how you get on.

Bob.

Fully agree with Bob, this aint right.....:down:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well I have my response from the Vendor, it seems he thinks he's in the right. Would you more experienced people agree with him?

I'm sorry to here your item wasn't what you expected. I am unsure as to your experience or ability at turning, and I tread carefully as not to offend. But I must point out that the vast majority of wood Turners who buy "spalted" timber are usually aware that the spalting is caused by a fungus. It is also generally common knowledge that this in turn affects the structural integrity of the blank making a single visit turn generally impossible.

Instead what I, and most turners I know, will do is turn the blank to finishes shape and size then treat it with wood hardener for a few days before completing the bowl.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I think this person can't tell the difference between spalting and rotting. He is right I guess that some woods that are softer would need hardening and it might work in this case too but I'm not sure you've got what you bought or expected. Do you have the link to the item on ebay?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Maybe you could send him a link to this thread and ask him to reconsider. Post his ebay ID so that nobody else here buys from him.

I have turned a lot of spalted silver birch, but then I have never paid for it and it is not a wood I would ever pay for.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have had many a bits of wood like this apart from learning how to deal with wood like this I can see one mistake your chuck recesses is to close to the edge to be safe on this type of wood you need smaller jaws yes the wood is rotten but all spalted wood is rotten its to what degree the rot has set in ronseal do a rotten wood hardened which would have helped giving it a good soaking in that I was once given some large chestnut branches that were completely rotten and turned just the same as yours so it was a a good soaking with a wood hardener and once it was dry shallow cuts with a good sharp gouge with bevel rub no scrappers they will just tear the bowl to pieces then sand from 80 Grit to get rid of any tear out

Attachments

• 5d.JPG
    5d.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 5b.JPG
    5b.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 22

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Ah, mixed thoughts it seems but it looks as though he may be right up to a point. OK, I will remove the remnants of the foot and then get some hardener, give it a good soak and see what happens.

I'll use the small jaws for the NOVA (extended things) which are smaller diameter, I'm guessing I leave as much as I possibly can on the outside of the recess ?

I really want this to work so will give it another bash even it ends up only being a learning curve. Eg don't buy spalted silver birch again.

I'll let Woody pick my next purchase for a natural edge bowl, seeing as his come out so nice :frenchkiss:

Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated as always.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I think this person can't tell the difference between spalting and rotting. He is right I guess that some woods that are softer would need hardening and it might work in this case too but I'm not sure you've got what you bought or expected. Do you have the link to the item on ebay?

Hi Paul,

Here's the link Woodturning bowl blank 4 silver birch burl | eBay

Certainly not what I was expecting, but that could be my lack of knowledge.

If I'd seen comments about Silver birch generally being punky then I probably wouldn't have bothered.

I'll have to save up and buy a proper burr blank :sob:

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
What a let down eh Phil?

Personally I would have started a case against the seller, yes, some turners Know spalted means fungus but it doesn't mean rotting to the point it cannot be turned. The sellers description should have read that it was so punky as not all spalting results in a piece like that.
Soak it in the wood rot stuff Woody says and see how you go, I also would hot glue another piece of wood to the bottom of it so your chuck can hold onto it, oh, & if you do put it back on the lathe - stand well back

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).