• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

One from Aluminium

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Not that easy to turn and I didn't manage to get perfect so I expect someone will want it as a gissit.

Attachments

• ally.jpg
    ally.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 53

jttheclockman

Looks good to me as well. I usually put a brushed look on aluminum pens. Easier than trying to polish all those tiny scratch marks out. That is a keeper. Thanks for showing.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I can see what you mean Paul, but I think its only the joint that has a very small error on it, even so its a very nice pen which in my opinion I believe you are being hard on yourself.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks all. while I think it is a nice pen it isn't perfect so in my opinion not sellable... but still a nice pen.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Paul, thats a cracker, don't put yourself down.
It's a brilliant bit of turning, its unique, one of a kind and it will sell.
I have no doubt on that buddy.. Go for it :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
It is obvious that you see something that we don't Paul, but going by the picture that you have put up it looks very nice my friend ... :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Everyone has been so nice to you with this pen Paul and it really ain't that bad but I do see exactly what you mean and I would be same if it were mine.
It looks like the bottom has gone off center. Did you turn them as separate pieces?
I would suggest putting both bits on a mandrel and spinning them as one piece.
The other thing is, I see no benefit of having it as a long top it would be as good if not better as a normal slimline with or without a belt in the middle.
Just my opinion.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Everyone has been so nice to you with this pen Paul and it really ain't that bad but I do see exactly what you mean and I would be same if it were mine.
It looks like the bottom has gone off center. Did you turn them as separate pieces?
I would suggest putting both bits on a mandrel and spinning them as one piece.
The other thing is, I see no benefit of having it as a long top it would be as good if not better as a normal slimline with or without a belt in the middle.
Just my opinion.

Thanks Grump. I did turn it as one so I'm not quite sure why it didn't end up perfectly round but I guess we have to put up with that sometimes. It was a little harder with a longer top so I may just have another go as you suggest with 2 equal parts.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).