• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Thinking.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I know it has nothing to do with turning but you are all my friends and I wanted to run an idea by you.
I made a knife handle some years ago and threw the knife in my toolbox.
It has stood the test of time and is still in reasonable condition.
A young lad I currently work with showed a lot of interest in it so I gave it to him today.

P1070904 (Custom).JPG

This got me thinking about doing some engraving on knife blades with my cnc machine so I had a little play with a cheapy old knife from Drains drawers init?

P1070909 (Custom).JPG

The idea I have in mind is getting hold of some knife blanks of all sorts, making bespoke handles and individualise the blades and flog em at craft fairs on Neil's stall LOL.
Is it a stupid idea????

P1070906 (Custom).JPG

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Brian, I think it's a great idea. I would check the legalities surrounding the sales of knives before too much longer, though. That first knife seems to have a decorative pattern on the blade - very pretty!

Also, you might want to consider making the blades too - with your equipment and skills I doubt it would be very difficult.

Jim

Grand Master
Go for it Brian, how do you know if you don't try .. Making handles like this can only help ... Looks very much like Elm Burr, but whatever it is it does look good ... :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That's a fantastic idea and well worth exploring further, go for it.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I like your hand made handle Brian, what timber is it?

If this were a competition Jim would have already won, yes it is Burr elm, One of my most favouritist ever woods init?
On a Damascus steel blade given to me by a Damn Yank and George would play with it every time he visited much to my unervedness if that's a word.
Legalities David yes certainly need looking into But I was thinking more of kitchen knifes than bushcraft knifes.

Brian's Blades Howzat for a name init?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Brian, a superb and original idea and very sellable I would think. I love the idea.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Brian,

Any man who is game enough to raid his wifes drawers should only do so by inclination or invitation then should not be daunted with your suggested project that has great merit. Please be careful with copyright but I know you already know that.

Have fun then success my best to you both in your quest.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Depends on how much Neil is going to charge you Brian, you know how tight fisted he is :funny::funny::funny:

Sssshhh I haven't mentioned it to Neil yet, he is blissfully unaware until I turn up at his door armed to the teeth with Brians Blades.
Not sure if you now have a mental picture of Rambo or Bimbo. :kiss:

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
Brian, I think it's a great idea. I would check the legalities surrounding the sales of knives before too much longer, though. That first knife seems to have a decorative pattern on the blade - very pretty!

Also, you might want to consider making the blades too - with your equipment and skills I doubt it would be very difficult.

The decorative pattern is because it's Damascus Steel - just the way that the steel is folded which gives it the pattern.

In theory this is a great idea, and if you aim at the Craft Fair type market rather than the Bushcraft market (where you see LOTS of this type of thing) then you may be onto a winner. Blade Blank styles, prices (and quality) vary as much as they do for pens, but you could do much worse than look for a "woodlore" clone blade and make scales for that.

I think making the blades is prohibitively expensive (not knowing what equipment Brian has (fnar fnar!) :banana:). Some of the custom blades that I see (that are nothing special) are selling £150 and up.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Good points Mr Finch.
While the idea of flaunting my wares and engraving blades is new to me, the knife making is not a new project for me.
I understand the costs being prohibitive for fancy blades and that market is already a busy one for those established in it.
I am certainly looking at the cheaper end of the market of practical show pieces if you like.
Still lots of thought to go into any project I may embark upon or not as the case may be.
I am thinking of kitchenware or wall display pieces rather than bushcrafts although if asked and with a deposit to cover the blade cost I see no reason why not.
As for equipment I still have my Parker steel account open and one of my old companies is still going strong although all the lads are now self employed I know they will accommodate my needs as small pickings to them.
County Steel :: Home and will be paying them a visit at the weekend.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).