• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Help needed

L200arg

Graduate Member
Hi all hope you can help

Just ventured down to my workshop for the first time today following my heart attack to see if everything was ok.

When I got there I noticed my lathe bed had quite a bit of surface rust on which came off quite easily when I rubbed it, but my sander and fret saw tables were ok.

So my question is, is there anything I can put on the bed to stop this happening that will still allow the tailstock and banjo to slide up and down as normal

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I larrap duck oil all over my shed before the winter really sets in.
Worked well so far and it is very open to the elements.
Promise myself every summer I am gonna weatherproof it but it don't happened yet init?

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Personally I never let anything with silicone in in my workshop, it's a nightmare for affecting finishes.

I'd just wipe the exposed metal with a thin oil on a rag.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You guys are very brave using ptfe and silicone two of the mostest sliperiest substances known to mankind.
Good job you don't got a brake pedal on your lathe init?
And don't drive with the same shoes on.
Certainly not ever in my workshop as Doug quiet rightly points out.

Jim

Grand Master
You guys are very brave using ptfe and silicone two of the mostest sliperiest substances known to mankind.
Good job you don't got a brake pedal on your lathe init?
And don't drive with the same shoes on.
Certainly not ever in my workshop as Doug quiet rightly points out.

I guess if you spray it on the floor it would make it slippery for sure .. On the bed is fine ... :ciggrin:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
It would be no fun if we were all the same would it?
And people wouldn't ask questions if they already knew the answers.
In my experience once spot and it's everywhere. I'll stay safe in that respect, A little duck oil on a cloth and a quick rub has always worked well for me.
And I have used it for years in engineering.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.

I agree, but I only spray a small amount on a cloth and wipe everything down with it. I also have some beeswax that I have used as well. But provided you use the silicone spray carefully then it works well for me..

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I use PTFE spray on all my bare metal surfaces I find using oil makes dust stick to everything and makes an awful mess

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Years ago I had some trouble with Nylon fittings breaking down in aluminium windows, I was surprised as I was quite keen on maintenance. I was informed that my yearly application of WD40 applied to keep everything running smoothly had in fact "rotted" the nylon causing the fittings to fail.

I wasn't convinced by the manufacturers explanation but on asking about WD40 elsewhere one of the things I learnt that is relevant to this thread was this :-

"WD 40 does repel water, for about the first three months after application, after this it starts to break down and actually attracts water (becomes hygroscopic). There are other oil based aerosols around that are specifically designed to provide long term protection, often branded with names such as 'Duck Oil'."

I only pass this on in the hope folks don't suffer the problems I had with WD40.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).