• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mandrel saver

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
The show at Harrogate gave me an opportunity to see one of these new fangled mandrel savers in the flesh :whistling:

Obviously me being me my first thought was "how much" quickly followed by "I could make one of those" :nonono:

So tired of using a spanner to run a nut up the bolt that makes up my mandrel I decided to give it a go.
I had an old morse taper & a bearing retrieved from an old cordless drill the only problem was the one wouldn't fit the other, so the first job was to turn down the end of the morse taper to fit the baring.

photo1_zps5f73ed95.jpg

Whilst on the Bridgeport a 1/4" hole was drill up the centre of the taper for the mandrel to pass through & the bearing friction push-fitted onto the morse taper.

After this a piece of Box wood was turned to a cylinder & a 30mm hole drilled in one end, this hole was then counter bored with a 20mm hole to prevent the centre surface of the bearing touching any wood & then a 1/4" hole drill through the centre of the blank

photo1_zpsefcdd924.jpg

The Box wood was then held in pin jaws & the finished shape turned

photo2_zpsc0ee1ded.jpg

Time to try it out!!!

photo3_zps3416d2a4.jpg

Happy to say it worked a treat :banana::banana:
The best thing about it is I no longer have to play "hunt the 11mm spanner" that little bugger was brilliant at hiding :rolling:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Lovely job, it's on my to do list. I didn't think of using wood, so will have to rethink that possibility. It's always nice to see home made tools, jigs etc.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Doug,

I agonised over your take on a mandrel saver and you have acheived what the commercial ones do except the boxwood part IMHO that needs to be steel as this part nestles with the mandrel and is the saving part every time you get a slight catch using your wooden part the nose will wear as well as create an out of round gradually. I dont have a Bridgeport so my design uses a commercial live centre with a brass insert easily made on a metal lathe, pic shown uses a steel nose cone the bearing used is a KSM 1607RS. I know I have banged on about my own design etc on all forums I have belonged to but a few of the commercial ones available years after my design are only variations of this.

The agonising part was to point this out in such a way you would understand my goodwill in bringing my observations to help not to override guess sitting back not saying so many times does not help either. The pics are my original mandrel saver then the commercial one commonly available that I choose to use for the steel nose cone.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0006-001.JPG
    DSCF0006-001.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0028.JPG
    DSCF0028.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0030.JPG
    DSCF0030.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 94

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I can understand that steel will wear better than wood in a catch, but I can't remember ever having a catch with a pen blank, maybe I have been lucky:pray:

Peter

Jim

Grand Master
Who's a clever boy then ... Very well made Doug .. :bwink: Start a business buying broken cordless drills and get these on the shelf ... :whistling:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for all the comments :thumbs:

The agonising part was to point this out in such a way you would understand my goodwill

Peter, I am always happy to listen to others opinions on the things I make especially when those opinions come from someone with as much experience as you, in fact I'd be a fool not to.

The Box wood nose cone is a friction fit as I would like at some point to make a metal one to replace it with but at the moment that isn't possible, this is why I thought I'd try with the hardest close grained timber I had hence the box wood.

Making this has made me realise how useful having a bearing on a morse taper can be for making custom made live wooden centres for specific jobs, whilst these won't have the longevity of metal ones, the ease with which wood can be shaped makes these ideal for one off projects.
As for this saver I will just have to see how long it lasts before either it wears out or I get the opportunity to make a metal one.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
When turning my box the other day i was having a think about how to stop the lid falling off and then i had a light bulb moment why not use my mandrel saver and it work so there is no end of uses

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Inventive Doug. Well done.. I have not brought one and don't intend to buy one either.:mooney2:

But I have got an old craft supplies mandrell that works in the same way..

Attachments

• craft supplies mandrell saver.JPG
    craft supplies mandrell saver.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).