• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pillar Drill

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That is plenty good enough for a penturner mate and not a bad price I would say.
I would want to confirm the 80mm quill travel before paying a penny as that is just enough.

Jim

Grand Master
That is plenty good enough for a penturner mate and not a bad price I would say.
I would want to confirm the 80mm quill travel before paying a penny as that is just enough.

Thanks Brian, the 80mm travel is what made me look at this model, i have had a 50mm travel before that was not enough for some pen blanks ... :down:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I have the model before this one Jim and its the dogs. Its very easy to use although I only ever keep it at the same speed and very easy to raise and lower so the travel isn't quite so important.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Jim two observations one Brian covered throw is vital, the second that is a small MTaper size not a lot of meat in the quill area and for mine buying one I would seek out a unit that allows you to use a locking threaded rod to hold the chuck in there are few things worse than a chuck letting go IMHO. It happened three times on my one until I fiitted a different chuck,stem with 3/8 threaded end in the stem no more probs. They are stumpy handles to control the drill, love the light and the chuck shield.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I believe its going to be down to personal opinion Jim, if it does what you want for the price you want to pay then go for it..

I know I pondered for nearly two years over a new lathe, so much so they brought out a new model.. and then I brought that.. :funny:

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
The most important feature is that it has a crank to raise and lower the table. My first benchtop you had to loosen the table and grab it on both sides and worry it up or down to where you wanted it, then try to hold it there while you tightened it back up. It was the PITS! The other thing is quill travel. You want one that can drill all the way through the blanks you use most the time. Otherwise, you have to stop, raise the table (or shim under the vice) and finish drilling the blank. Those are the two most important features in my book.

I had to look at the picture to see what you were talking about...we call that a drill press.

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for all the comments guys, even the ones off topic lol ... :winking: Agree with both your points Sharon ... :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Sorry I'm late answering this one Jim I also had the drill press before this one and it done every thing I wanted it to the rack and pinion rise and fall on the table is a very useful feature and they have a good keyless chuck but it will only grip 3.5mm or more so I did change the one I had as I wanted it for my metal work as well which is another point it is designed for engineering so it will cope admirably with what you want it for another thing I found to be very handy is a cross vice they are so easy to line up the work with the drill bit good luck mate

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).