• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What would you do with this?

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Now I have posted this on another forum quite a while ago.

I still haven't found anything to use it for apart from a door stop.. and tried cutting it a few years ago with a standard 9" angle grinder with cutting disk.. :vangry:

What would you use this for? Apart from what its already used for...:rolling:

It's a rather large piece of drilled limestone.. my dad used some of it for clock faces.. Not sure if I fancy doing any of them..

Attachments

• Limestone door-stop.JPG
    Limestone door-stop.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 39

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
the best way to cut it is probably a petrol cut off saw but no idea what to do with it :nooidea:

Jim

Grand Master
I have no idea to be honest Eamonn, i am sure something will come to mind thou ... :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Polish it up, sink it into the garden and put a nice table top on it. Get the beers...:funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I really don't know what you would do with it Nor why you would want it.
Do you want any more? I have to keep core samples from many buildings I have put up over the years, so if you do find a good use for it let me know.
I could fill a garden or two for you.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
What would you use this for?

It's a rather large piece of drilled limestone..

If it weighs as much as the limestone I've been using recently I could definitely recommend you don't go swimming with it :doh::whistling::funny:

How about cutting it into thin slices & making coasters or insetting the slices into turned circular frames & making trivets ?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hire a large industrial angle grinder with a water feed and a diamond disk that will cut it but then it wont do if its over about 6" or 7" thick

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Thanks gents.... Looks like it's going to be the door stop for a little longer then...:sob:

Apparently there are very small fossils in the limestone that date back a few million years or two..(Would be a good talking point I guess..geologist informed me today that it is likely to be over 300 million years old) then I fell asleep.. :face:

I'm sure it will out live me and I might leave it in my will for my grandchildren.. Really torment there parents..:devil:

I have a 9" diamond blade angle grinder.. I might just attack it one day..:wink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Have you tried turning a chunk to see how it comes out with lots of ca on it?

If it's that old you might find Woody's school cap in there.:wink::wink:

Jim

Grand Master
Apparently there are very small fossils in the limestone that date back a few million years or two..(Would be a good talking point I guess..geologist informed me today that it is likely to be over 300 million years old)

Terry's era i see .... :frenchkiss:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).