• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Two tips on the iap

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
One from the site owner Jeff a near miss from a potential disaster. Drilling deep on the lathe withdrawing the tail stock it let go the morse part.

Drill Press Spindle Travel Ed Street trumped everyone with his 11 1/2 inch travel 100 yr old drill press.

In answer to Jims question re purchasing I said I had loose and also incidentally dangerous chuck drop out I regard this as essential to anchor the chuck with a draw bar.

Invariably we all wait for a reason to take steps to prevent accidents.

Sharon gave a plug for Brians method of extending the depth.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That's nice. Thank you Sharon but my granddaughter should take the credit for crying bless her.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
From my own experience with chuck drop-out is they just stop spinning and remain trapped in the wood with the drill bit and the wood should be secured in the table vice but that's only my experience

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have never had it happen to me, mainly because I give a good sharp tap with a rubber mallet.
And yes I always check the taper and socket are clean and clear before doing so.
Yes I have to tap it off or out with a suitable bar and rubber mallet again.
That also allows me to ensure dead centre without wobble or chatter init?
Once again I know we ain't all the same so don't slate me for it, it's just what I do.
Like drilling at the same speed, I setup my drill when I first got it and have never changed the speed on it. Just use a bit more or less grunt on the handle init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).