• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Which way round...?

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Guys,

I know that it matters little but...when you mount your pen blank(s) on the lathe prior to turning, which end do you mount nearest the headstock? Since I started turning pens I've always positioned the lower blank at that end, and the clip blank against the tailstock. As I said, it makes little difference - except for one thing. Most assembly instructions are the other way round, i.e. with the clip to the left. With this in mind I've tried to mount up the blanks to face that way on the lathe, but didn't enjoy it so much so reverted back pretty quickly. Is this the onset of Alzheimer's, I ask myself. So far on-one has answered me but the day they do I shall book my place in the old folks home!

Tell me which way round you mount your blanks, guys.

Bob.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Can't help ya mate, I turn one at a time between centers. I use a mandrel so rarely when I do loose the knurled knob and go back to centers again.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
To be honest Bob I have never given it any thought I suppose it depends what bush I pick up first sorry mate

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I always turn my pens with the nib end on the head stock end, then transfer them to a wooden rack, commonly known as a or piece of architrave which is marked nib on the left hand side so I don't get them mixed up...:thumbs: or is it the other way around??????:nooidea:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I always have the cap end toward the headstock and the nib toward the tailstock but only because it is to me a way of keeping the timber in line for matching the grain.With a single barrel i still have the nib at the tailstock as a result of the the way I do a 2 barrel pen !!!!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I line my grain by transfer my line from the outside to a dot on the inside of the tube,
Can't lose track by doing that init?
dots to middle of pen no probs always goes together the way I intended.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Which ever way I'm holding the blanks at the time I put them on the mandrel, as long as the grain is matching I don't really think about having to have them a certain way round. :nooidea::nooidea:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Started with nib to the tail-stock end as per most instruction sheets, but have reversed to nib to headstock, because my tiny newbie brain tells me that there is less chance of wobble at the headstock end ????:nooidea:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I always have the cap end toward the headstock and the nib toward the tailstock but only because it is to me a way of keeping the timber in line for matching the grain.With a single barrel i still have the nib at the tailstock as a result of the the way I do a 2 barrel pen !!!!

I do it this way too (when I use a pen mandrel). I will now change to doing it Bob's way purely so I can't be associated with Terry!

:funny::funny:

Attachments

• photo008.jpg
    photo008.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Turning half at a time I determine the pen positions, ie nib top end by the grain in line to match only after the blank is turned the first half to the round.

I have found so many times imperfections in blanks that can be overcome this way or a feature preserved.

As to heads up tails down no moment for me every pen a new challenge.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Ralphsputin

Nib in the tailstock but purely because it makes it easier for me to remember which bit is which and which end of which bit is which by taking the barrel off and pressing in the nib first. I don't suppose it really matters.

amazilia

I have always put the nib at the headstock and cap at tailstock. I still always check my turned and finished blanks in case I change my mind about which end is which. Probably paranoia rather than alzheimers ! I blame my nib end choice on being left handed!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).