• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Tight fit with streamline clip and cap

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I have come a cross a few slimline pens lately that i seem to be struggling with the clip and cap coming together, i have to use a small file gently to make the cap fit? :vangry:

Is anyone else seeing this problem? :nooidea:

Old Corky

I have come a cross a few slimline pens lately that i seem to be struggling with the clip and cap coming together, i have to use a small file gently to make the cap fit? :vangry:

Is anyone else seeing this problem? :nooidea:

Tony, if you are talking about pushing the cap into the hole in the clip, yes I do run into the same problem with some kits. I just hang the clip over the end of an unturned blank with a 7mm hole (The unlined hole makes alignment easier) and push the cap through the clip's hole with the pen press. Then press it into the pen end. Works for me so far.

Old Corky

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Tony, if you are talking about pushing the cap into the hole in the clip, yes I do run into the same problem with some kits. I just hang the clip over the end of an unturned blank with a 7mm hole (The unlined hole makes alignment easier) and push the cap through the clip's hole with the pen press. Then press it into the pen end. Works for me so far.

Old Corky
I do same as that Corky, I have had a lot do that. Maybe the plating is a touch thicker at that point is all I have put it down to.

Jim

Grand Master
I have had this issue on the slimline range also, so thanks for the tip Corky ... :bwink:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I keep these two reamers beside the bench at all times, the stumpy one is an inside and outside reamer bought at gunsmiths and the taper one from Radio Shack type places and I always clean the brass and this device step drill also lightly reams the brass as in pic of the blank.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0033-001.JPG
    DSCF0033-001.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0036-001.jpg
    DSCF0036-001.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0021-001.jpg
    DSCF0021-001.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0052-001.JPG
    DSCF0052-001.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 24

djjenner

Registered
Tony,
yes seems to be more common with some of the copper plated fittings, I use a roll of abraisive to releave the clip hole.

One other tip I can offer, having destroyed a couple of twist pen mechanisms, is to ensure that the threaded refill mount is fully retracted before pressing into the brass tube.

Regards

Dave

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Tony,
yes seems to be more common with some of the copper plated fittings, I use a roll of abraisive to releave the clip hole.

One other tip I can offer, having destroyed a couple of twist pen mechanisms, is to ensure that the threaded refill mount is fully retracted before pressing into the brass tube.

Regards

Dave

Thanks for this tip Dave it certainly helps knowing little things like this.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).