• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Woodturning Magazine

MikeD

Registered
With the latest edition of the Woodturning Magazine there is a free 174 page book Woodturning Spindle Projects by Alan Holtham worth £16.99.

The book is only free if you purchase the magazine in a shop. If, like me you subscribe to the magazine you will not receive the book :vangry:

There are organisations who treat their loyal customers with contempt and reserve the best prices and incentives for non-customers. It would appear Woodturning Magazine has joined that select club.

Guess what I'll be doing when my subscription comes up for renewal :nonono:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
That is absolutely disgusting.

Some organisations really do not understand the principle of "customer value" and then they wonder why people go elsewhere.

Cretins the lot of 'em.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Well I carried out my threat and cancelled my subscription. I have bought up old stock of the magazine from my local woodturning supplies shops who is selling off back editions at 10P each, they are great, informative and not filled with the pseudo artistic twaddle that some including Mark Baker think proliferate the woodturning fraternity. Mark, sorry you've got it wrong and the magazine is going down the drain. If its not and you are right and I am wrong please publish the last three years circulation figures month by month for the UK and if I'm wrong I'll eat humble pie.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Where's their commonsense? Surely their market researchers are aware of the pitfalls of treating existing customers with disdain? And along the same lines, how about Virgin Media, who are offering new customers a whole load of deals which exceeds what existing subscribers are getting. At one time in the not-to-distant past there was an element of "LOYALTY" which went both ways - client to company, company to client. But not anymore!!! Stop your subscriptions, Mike!!!

Bob.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Well, I got my free book..................................but then I don't subscribe to any mags, I have to take Paula shopping so I get to go in 2 shops, WH Smith & Greggs, whilst standing out in all weathers waiting for her to finish going in the 100 she goes in, in the vain hope they have something new she can buy!! :face::face::face::face:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Stooped buying it a long lime ago most of them are full of crap anyway and some haven't got a clue what they are on about and just bluff there way through promoting the next cant do without rubbish chisel or accessory
Places like our forum are replacing them with good practical skills and knowledge that people want

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've just called them and they said that its a promotion for WHSmith and not with the magazine ... but when I mentioned cancelling and loyal customers and shoving it up your arse they said that if you call 01273 488005 they will send you one.

MarkW

I've just called them and they said that its a promotion for WHSmith and not with the magazine ... but when I mentioned cancelling and loyal customers and shoving it up your arse they said that if you call 01273 488005 they will send you one.
let us know how you get on

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
let us know how you get on

I haven't got a subscription so I won't get one but they said that anyone who wants one who has a subscription to call that number and they will post one to them.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
just got this back with in 10 min of sending

The book you are referring to was an exclusive promotion with selected retailers only. The cover price of the magazine has been increased in those retailers to cover the additional cost of the book. As a subscriber you have already paid a much lower price for the magazine and so it isn’t cost effective to offer it to subscribers.

and they are sending me a copy

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Stooped buying it a long lime ago most of them are full of crap anyway and some haven't got a clue what they are on about and just bluff there way through promoting the next cant do without rubbish chisel or accessory
Places like our forum are replacing them with good practical skills and knowledge that people want
That has to be the best and most sensible statement I have read in a long time, beats any mag, well said Milud. I couldn't agree more init?

I also dungaree that the books is worth £16.99. That may be the sale price but value is set by the ownership.
I would like to see a copy however but not at that price. and if it is so valuable why is being given as a freebie?

Jim

Grand Master
In their haste to get new customers it is obvious that they forgot about those who are supporting the product ... :nonono:

MikeD

Registered
So, only if you complain will they send subscribers a free copy :down: Any subscriber that is not aware will simply be shafted :mooney2:

It would appear WH Smiths take better care of their customers than the magazine does, I do not think I will continue my subscription :face:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Normal cost of a copy from newsagent = £3.95 X 12 = £47.40

Cost of subscription for 12 copies after 30% discount for direct debit = £ 33.18 making a saving of £14.22

Cost of Alan Holtham's book from The Book Depository£10.77

£14.22 - £10.77 = £3.45

So subscribe by direct debit and buy the book at its real price rather than its quoted rrp and you save £3.45.

What the hell are you complaining about? :rolling:

Smoke and mirrors by WHS to make you think you are getting something for nothing. There is no such thing as a "free" anything in the world of retail.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).