• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

One for our Australian friends

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hope you enjoy a happy sunny Christmas
The warmth and heart wrenching simplicity of Australian bush poetry can bring a tear to the eye.

We are blessed in Australia to have such an abundant wealth of talented story tellers through whom future generations can learn of our history and 21st century lifestyle.

Here is a classical example:

A Poem About Tomatoes

I know a Muslim whose name is Jim,
I really love throwing tomatoes at him,
Tomatoes are soft & don't hurt the skin, but these f---ers do, 'cos they're still in the tin.....

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Excellent stuff Woody, just picked me up from what was a very ordinary day. :funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Morning Woody must have picked that up from a soccer match over there. Or the barmy army floating round the tests.

Peter.:rolling:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Tinny this is what I mean't:

noun
(also tinnie) (plural tinnies) Australian/NZ informal

1: a can of beer (could be tomatoes)
(let’s crack open a tinny, mate) or throw one

2: a small boat with an aluminium hull.

:funny::funny::funny::funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
One for our Uk friends just finished the evening meal switched over from the news it was 35 degrees Celcius today only two weeks into summer. Bought an inside outside set of remote weather units in fact two its 26.5 degrees inside 34 degrees outside 50 degrees in our roof space (no wonder pen blanks mature quickly up there). The program we switched to was called the Dales in Yorkshire hosted by a man born in the area Ade Edmondson. He said on intro today its summer here but Ive got me coat on if its not raining here it soon will be, well we would appreciate the rain.

Conversations about tinnies and such go straight past me I have never tasted one in my life I had an alcoholic uncle that was as close as I ever got to it. I played cricket enjoyed Aussie rules footy 18 a side much like Gaelic football was ever aware of how to win in grace and lose gracefully enjoying my sports.

Quite satisfied at having finished work in the roof and running (read walking) around on the roof now finished my exhaust fan to atmosphere works a treat in early evening reducing the temp in the roof down by 10 to 15 degrees.. Not long back using the electric chain saw i demolished an 18 inch limb with four ton of a type of oak tree in my back yard it was about 15 feet up cut it into lengths up there and chucked it into my neighbors yard. This tree is highly valued by Richard Raffan as he said it was a prince of trees to turn wet. By permission of my neighbor retrieved and disposed of the tree to a mulching place that accepts this stuff. This tree was planted in the 60,s.

Canberra was planted and encouraged to be a garden city so now excess street trees by the thousand are consigned in old age to a huge acres of tree dump and turned into mulch after timber getters have their share of so many exotic trees. Each street in Canberra has designated planting and when we built our first house in 1955 we were allocated 40 trees and 50 shrubs free for the collection in our yard from the govt nursery. The street tree outside our home is well over a hundred feet tall 5 feet across the girth sheds leaves all the year really its a forest Eucalypt. Planted in the 60,s.

Our population here grew from 1941 when I came here from Sth Australia from 10000 to now 400000 of course not that many turn pens and is the federal centre of govt in australia.

Received another death sentence this week thats just one of several over the last few years but new meds enable me to carry on sort of so I intend to have a beaut xmas and new year in the company of my family and friends we buried a young lady close friend of my youngest daughter today 43 yrs of age so permanence is never guaranteed.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).