• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Handgrip

Sean

Registered
Hello.
I don't actually make pens - I make Timpani sticks with bamboo cane handles. The canes are cleaned and polished on the lathe using abrasives and then fishes applied - acrylic sanding sealer and varnish, followed by 4 alternating coats of ee ultra shine and shellawax, ending with Carnauba. Quite a few finishes, but it's a hand held object and needs to be tactile as well as being well protected - which I would guess has a parallel with pen making.
I have a technical question which I'm hoping the forum can help with, and if so I'll be overjoyed. I have a customer who wants small [4 cm long] rubber hand grips on the sticks. I've tried cut lengths of tubing but he's found that to aesthetically unacceptable.
I have a hazy idea in my head that I've seen a pen with just such a grip - if I'm not imagining it I'd be really grateful for any idea as to who makes/supplies them!
many thanks,
Sean

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Sean..maybe its a pen kit known as the 'Comfort' that you have seen ?

shopping.jpgshopping.jpg

You can get these grips as spare parts on fleabay.:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hi Sean, its unusual to apply fishes to a drum stick.:funny::funny::funny:

The grips for pens are fairly short, if you wanted something longer, how about heat shrink tubing? you can get it to fit any diameter and it won't slip especially if you get the stuff with glue in it. It will form to any underlying shape and give a degree of comfort.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Beat me to it Paul, heat shrink would have been my choice too.

Sean, you'll have to show us some of your sticks, as an ex drummer am always interested in percussion implements, just in case I decide to annoy the neighbours again.:banana::banana::banana:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).