• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Spalted Sycamore bowl

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Had an enjoyable afternoon in the shop as I'd some Xmas presents to make, one of which was a bowl made for a 200+ year old Sycamore blank from the old grounds of the Buxton grammar school.
While I was turning it I took some photos just in case anyone wanted to see how I go about turning a bowl from what was a very dry spalted blank. I would say from the start this is my way, there are other ways & I'm definitely not saying it is the best way, just how I feel comfortable going about turning it.

First off the blank is held in the chuck via a threaded screw drive & the outside shape is turned along with a spigot, no sanding is done yet.

photo3_zps3be3fcc2.jpg

This is then reversed & held in 2" jaws & the inside hollowing begins, when about 1" or so in & while there is still plenty of support as not much timber has been removed I finish that first 1" of the inside of the bowl with a scraper until I'm happy there is nothing that can't be removed with 240 grit.

photo2_zpsfde84736.jpg

I continue doing this roughly every 1" as I proceed hollowing out. As can be seen in the next photo due to the dryness & spalting of the blank there is quite a lot of tear out in the rough hollowing even though I was using a shape bowl gouge.
If I'd hollowed the complete bowl & then tried to clean up the insides with a scraper chances are I'd get a lot of vibration as the mass would have been removed & as the sides are quite thin I would have been left with an unsatisfactory finish.

photo1_zps77a52f16.jpg

Once happy with the inside shape & finish off the tools I sand both the inside & outside of the bowl. I find if I start with too course an abrasive I get scratch marks that are very difficult to remove so I try to get a tool finish that is good enough that I can start sanding at 240 grit.
I work down the grits to 600, as this is going to be finished on buffing wheels 600 is fine but I do give the bowl a coat of cellulose sanding sealer as this shows up any scratches I may have missed.

photo5_zps5309b6bd.jpg

Happy with the finish the bowl is reversed again & mounted in cole jaws. The tail stock is bought up just as a precaution, my mandrel saver being ideal just to prevent any bowl movement away from the jaws, I can then remove most of the spigot.

photo4_zps576a4aa7.jpg

The last remaining bit is cut off with a saw & the bottom sanded, then it's over to the buffing wheels to cut back & polish.

photo2_zpsd5e3c1c6.jpg

The finished bowl.

photo3_zpsec30ecf0.jpg

photo1_zpseb0fa3a6.jpg

Hope this is of some use to a few of you, I know there are plenty out there with far more experience than me, but I thought whilst I was turning this I'd share how I go about things.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Lovely grain and well turned Doug. I thought at first that maybe the walls could have been a tad thinner but having looked again its right.

keith

Jim

Grand Master
Love it Doug, very nicely finished and a great shape to boot ... Thanks for the tutorial my friend which i hope you won't mind if I pinch it to add to our tutorial page ... :thumbs:

Very pleased that it has passed the Keith test, now we know it is a good un ... :winking:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks Doug. A lovely bowl and an excellent description on how it was make.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Great tutorial, great bowl and well finished. Superb that man.. :thumbs:

Well done Doug, I think you should start doing some turning classes.. :thumbs: as it's really well put over in a 'layman a terms' :love_it:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Well done Doug, I think you should start doing some turning classes.. :thumbs: as it's really well put over in a 'layman a terms'

I'm not sure I'd be good enough to teach others, but you'd definitely only get any info in laymans terms as no one has ever accused me of being hi-brow :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).