• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Versa chuck

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Alex had asked me about the Versa chuck, so I said I'd put a post on the forum with some pictures as it might help others who are interested.

Basically the Versa chuck uses jaw carriers that screw to the jaws & then scroll into the chuck.
This photo shows two jaw sets with the carriers screwed onto them.

photo1_zps478dc371.jpg

These are Nova jaws as the Nova chuck was the first chuck I bought along with a few sets of jaws but after a while I tired of screwing & unscrewing the jaws when I wanted to change jaws so bought the Versa.

The main thing to watch out for with this type of scrolling chuck is the carriers can stick out in use. The next photo shows both my chucks.

photo3_zps569af5e5.jpg

The Nova on the right is fully open & as can be seen the jaws carriers stay flush with the body of the chuck, where as the Versa carriers can stick out. Care is needed to make sure when in use the carriers are sufficiently inside the body of the chuck to prevent the jaws coming loose

I personally prefer the Versa chuck, aligning the carriers can be tricky at first but I soon got used to it & now a days the Nova only gets used with the pin jaws that are on it in the photo.

I know Woody had the newer model Versa chuck so hopefully he & anyone else for that matter will add to the thread with their impressions of the different chucks available.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I had my Versa chuck set up to take the axminster jaws and in my opinion it is a very well engineered chuck in fact better than some of the more expensive makes I intend to get another on in the new year if Santa dont bring me one

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have two sizes of the Axminster one Never used the smaller one.
Too small for you dad but someone might use it.
I will be putting a lot of stuff up for sale in the new year as I am now unemployed.
Need to clear out clean up and organise myself init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).