• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Prototype turned knife handle

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I made a start on my knife making excersize this morning, some of the parts ordered have arrived.
Steel works has shut down for Christmas so I can't visit yet for making my own blades, so am restricted to buying blades of which some have now arrived.
I have done knifes before with handle scales but I thought I would try a turned handle.
This Zebrano handle, 8 inch Bowie knife is my first attempt and I know exactly what I will improve upon with the next attempt but I am not ruling out turned handles entirely.
I also need to plot the engraving a lot more precise and grip the knife without damaging the blade so a bit more effort on that front too.

P1070911 (Custom).JPG

P1070916 (Custom).JPG

P1070918 (Custom).JPG

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
That looks lovely to me, Brian. Well done! I wonder whether a knife aficionado would prefer the 'feel' of a scaled handle rather than a turned one?

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Looks good Brian :thumbs:

Of the few knife handles I`ve turned I found a slightly domed shape, with the middle of the handle being the thickest part, feels nice in the hand, what are you thinking of changing?

Best of luck with the new venture.:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That looks lovely to me, Brian. Well done! I wonder whether a knife aficionado would prefer the 'feel' of a scaled handle rather than a turned one?

Cheers David, you may well be very correct.
The handle is very much a part of the aesthetics of the complete thing and I have seen very few with cylindrical handles so that may well be a good twist on the theme and something to exploit.
Next turned grip will definitely have a circular bolster.
All part of my experiment and learning curve init?

Jim

Grand Master
Love to see work in progress Brian, not being a knife man I can't comment on whether a turned handle is the right thing to do .. But what I can comment on is how good this one looks .. Look forward to seeing the changes and work complete .. :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Looks good Brian :thumbs:

Of the few knife handles I`ve turned I found a slightly domed shape, with the middle of the handle being the thickest part, feels nice in the hand, what are you thinking of changing?

Best of luck with the new venture.:thumbs:

Thanks Doug I also agree with you 100% although I have to say this one does feel good.
I have no idea of what to charge as yet, I think that will have to be flexible dependant largely on the blade quality.
This particular one is a cheap Indian made blade which cost less than £10 plus a couple of quid for the blank add a bit for my time etc I reckon I should sell it at around the £20 mark.
Allow for a bit of haggling and ask £25.00 to start that's all guesswork at the moment.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Getting old init?
Sorry Doug I read that as charging not changing.
As I said I would change shape of the bolster and taper both ends as you suggest.
The addition of a window breaker would suit this style of knife I think.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
No expert Brian ...... but all I know is that when I was a knife wielding lad back in the 50s I would have been proud of that one ..looks great for your first attempt.

Jim

Grand Master
No expert Brian ...... but all I know is that when I was a knife wielding lad back in the 50s I would have been proud of that one ..looks great for your first attempt.

Playing Chicken!!! :goesred:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Playing Chicken!!! :goesred:

I guess that's the same game we used to call splits. where you threw the knife in the ground as close to opponents foot as possible.
If the knife went in his foot you lost.
If it stuck in ground, opponent covered the hole with his foot and you threw again until it didn't stick in ground it was then his turn.
Or something along those lines.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
We called that "split the kipper" Nice knife Brian, you could always turn a larger diameter and sand the sides down to get a more traditional handle shape.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Brian, My pro turning mate sells heaps of butter , cheese knives with turned platters or cheese boards etc for the table use also steak knives those blades come cheap with good quality.

Round is great.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).