• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Is it the right thing to do?

Jim

Grand Master
Reading on here and other sites about equipment going rusty over the cold months would placing the likes of chucks into a large plastic sandwich box protect them? :thinks:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I have a large cutting head box that had a shell mill in that collage gave me and as it is so oily it don't rust

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
At risk of stating the bleedin' obvious it's moisture that causes rust. I guess anything that keeps moisture off the part is going to help?

This has got to qualify as the most useless post in a long while - sorry!:sob:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
A waft over with a spray of GT85 before you put it in the box isn`t a bad idea either Jim.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
If you only have a couple of items of concern then bring them indoors but if the shed is dry and insulated ypu should have no problems.

Jim

Grand Master
If you only have a couple of items of concern then bring them indoors but if the shed is dry and insulated ypu should have no problems.

To late Frankie, i just been out and put them in my sandwich box ... Sprayed with a coating of silicone spray .. :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Silica gel packs out of electrical goods etc ..I always save 'em for my own use.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Jim, using silicone spray on items in contact with wood recipe for bad finishes with handling one the chuck two with oiled hands and timber. Camelia oil wiped lightly on the thinner film best. For the steels sake any oil works fine in a box can help further IMHO.

Kind regards for Xmas Peter.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Jim, using silicone spray on items in contact with wood recipe for bad finishes with handling one the chuck two with oiled hands and timber. Camelia oil wiped lightly on the thinner film best. For the steels sake any oil works fine in a box can help further IMHO.

Couldn't agree more, I've said before I don't have silicone spray in the workshop for just this reason.
As for Camelia oil you can get it in a pump action atomising spray which would make it more economical to use as it can be quite expensive, I use it on my hand planes & more expensive steel tools.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).