• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mandrel advice please

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I want to buy a mandrel as soon as I can decide which one.

I like the look of the Axminster adjustable kit at £33 and thought it might come on sale but they're out of stock anyway but I spotted one on ebay from "fun-e-turnz" who I've seen mentioned on here. It's cheaper at £24.50 delivered and looks good value.

I've assumed that the adjustable would be worth paying extra for, is this right?

I did a search on here and read the Axi threads but not seen the others so a bit stumped so any opinions, comparisons or alternatives? I'd welcome and take on board any views offered.

cheers

Bob

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
the axminster one i have just bought and it doubles as a collet chuck i would go with the axminster one

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
The axminster is as Alex has said a collet the Mandrel, the Rotur ones are a similar design but adjust with a grub screw rather than a collet fitting. The one that Helen from FET has is a collet type as well so should give as good a service as the axminster one.

There is not much between most manrpdrels now as they have standardised most fittings and bushing really well. The next thing you will be looking for is a mandrel saver.. One or two on here brought them and one or two made there own..

Jim

Grand Master
I also bought the Axminster mandrel, now i just wished i had bought it years ago .. If you can afford this mandrel i would go for it ... :bwink:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Thanks guys

Problem with the Axi one is that I might have to wait for as long as 4 weeks for delivery. I'll email F-E-T to ask if the ebay listing is a planet manufacture as I've read they are a reasonable make and it seems in stock.

I could probably make a mandrel saver, if not out of wood then brass or aluminium as I have a little Cowell metal lathe and stOcks of both metals as well as steel. Might even be able to make a basic madrel once I have a commercial one to copy.

cheers
Bob

ps. here's the link Woodturning Lathe Pen Mandrel - Collet Type - 1MT/2MT | eBay

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Might even be able to make a basic madrel once I have a commercial one to copy.

You don't need the threaded bit of the mandrel if you have a mandrel saver, so the mandrel can just become a plain bit of rod.

If you can make a saver then a mandrel is a PoP

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
It looks simple enough Doug but I use the metal lathe only rarely and have never attempted a morse taper. Threaded parts are possible as well as it has the attachments but it would take me time to do and probably a few attempts whilst I'm anxious to have a crack at this pen turnery lark.
The Cowell was a gift from a kind old guy who used it even less than me and it's a beauty. I'd done him a few favours but it was an incredible gesture:thumbs:

Bob

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Lons,

It would appear UK is the other way around time wise I will get another timepiece with date and 24 hrs on it Mark in Tennant Creek sent me a Zone map recently I will copy that and post it after as well thanks Mark.

I would prefer the mandrel unit you gave the reference to last. I can also show you by pm some comparisons mandrel saver stuff. Send me by pm your email addy if you want pics.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Don't you have a mobile with a world clock? just checked mine 23.13 on 23rd here / 10.14 on 24th Canberra.:whistling:

Weve been to Oz a couple of times in the last few years and my brother lives in the outskirts of Sydney. Hols were combined with NZ and we stayed in Sydney centre (which we love) but otherwise only got to Cairns and Noosa. We were planning a couple of months next year to se more of OZ but depends if my missus decides to retire or not.

Sent a pm re the mandrels. I've just found another on ebay though which looks virtually identical and cheaper still at £18.10 delivered so I'm tempted.

Bob

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I have an Axminster one, a Rotur one, a craft supplies one, oh and a home made one, TBH, they all turn pens and all do the same thing....:rolling:

Still prefer the home made one....:whistling:

I also have a home made mandrel saver,, :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Can't fault it......:wink:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I must, at some time, have owned, used or tested every make and type of pen mandrel known to humanity.

As long as they are straight and run true there is little to choose between them.

The grub screw on the Turners Retreat one sticks out a bit which is annoying but apart from that just go for whatever you fancy or fits your budget.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Lons you don't need a mandrel to turn pens.
All this crap about which mandrel and what mandrel saver and how much it costs.
Stick your bushes in each end and turn between centres, job done at no further cost, no P&P and waiting for the prat with the bike.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).