• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How about a little fun???

jttheclockman

The forums on this site are pretty restrictive so it is always hard for me to decide where to put things. Again if this is in the wrong place please move. Thanks

Over at the Fountain pen network site they have a running forum where they take photos of their best pens and place them with watches or on a desk. Now they are a fountain pen site so naturally they show fountain pens mainly. What say you if we try our own little fancy photo shoot. I do not think I am stepping on anyone's toes with this but if you all think so then we will abandon the idea. Now I think there must be some professional photograghers there because some of the photos are just great. We do not have to get that pro but would be nice to get some real neat shots. Now the rules would be to come up with an idea of what we can incorporate with our pens without them looking overwhelmed by the prop. Maybe we can make this a sticky or a forum in itself where photos can be added at any time in the future. Would be nice to see some nice photo work too.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. Some time ago I made these cambridge pens and wanted to do something like this on another forum but was overlooked as usual. I played with the watch idea some at that time.

As I said I think we need to come up with something that will identify this site. Not looking for any kind of bonkers but something stylish that shows good photo work. Something a little ARTSY. Good idea or not????

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
That ia a gorgeous blank & a beautiful pen John :bravo::bravo:

I have neither a desk nor a watch, but I do like the idea, who knows it might inspire me to build a desk :thinks:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I know what you mean and I have a lovely watch.

Attachments

• Watch3.JPG
    Watch3.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 27

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
But unfortunately I dropped it and it broke.

Attachments

• watch4.JPG
    watch4.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 27

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
But on a serious note, I love the idea and your pictures are great.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Awesome pen John and it may be a good idea. We could have a monthly comp for pens photographed with a different theme each time.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I stand back on this one having seen it all before.
I am not sure where you are going with it here.
Shame Paul broke his watch that'll teach you, sticking it to the wall like that it was bound to fall.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I should think that would exclude about half of us plonkers on here who are and will always be crap at taking photos so on that note I will sit this one out but I'm not saying its a bad idea because no doubt some of you would enjoy it I think as I know there are some professional photographers on here

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
When I joined the forum and ever since I have said I have developed a formula using an open box using conduit etc to allow me to take pics quickly, easily and repeatable lighting set up in 5 mins in the lounge room sometimes I play around with shells etc. I must say the large American Forum got to a stage where you felt unless you used multi imaging techniques etc you were out of step.I am a professional photographer and rarely if ever condemn others for their attempts or choice of anything.

Your suggestion is not necessary to segregate from anyone elses contribution I imagine you could include watches etc to your hearts content and I would enjoy them. Also on another forum separate sections die in content when separated ie special products such as Pen Wizard a section rarely used these days.

I love the simplicity of this forum there are watch forums and dozens of spectacle, classic pens forums and special photography forums.

I found converting to digital forecast a change that is disturbing just how real are the manipulated pics possible using advanced software another set of forums.

I agree with Woody and am on this forum to share in our own way sometimes I can hardly see images of pens but I can see the effort and salute that.

Always find your segmenting etc fascinating just my two bobs worth.:thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
To me the watch comes out stronger than the pen and reduces the pen to a mere prop ..it's probably just me that sees it that way . Great picture though John. Can't see anything wrong with it being accepted as an idea for the forum .:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).