• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sorby Pro Edge

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I've sort of come to the conclusion that I need a better sharpening system. (I know, I'm probably making up for the lack of skill by thinking that sharpening will help.). I can't get past the fact the the Sorby Pro Edge Plus, for less than three hundred bucks here, will basically be everything I need out of the box, while the Tormek T-whatever will cost more then that before I have any of the jigs I need. To make things worse, the Pro Edge takes up considerably less space - no small thing in my tiny one-car garage workshop!

Any thoughts? Is the Pro Edge the right tool? Should I think harder about the Tormek? Will I need extra jigs/belts or a honing wheel, or does the Plus have everything I need?

thanks in advance!

Jim

Grand Master
David i went through the same scenario as what you have right now, i stood at the stall at Harrogate wood show a few years back watching the guys demonstrate the Tormek, and what a very nice tool it is ... But after standing there for well over an hour (Spread over two visits) I made my decision that I would go for the Pro Edge .. Why, because the Tormek is very slow compared to the Pro Edge. I like the idea of sharpening any of my tools in seconds .. David, from TR had given me 10 minutes of his time a few weeks before the Harrogate show demonstrating the Pro Edge which i ended up buying and one of the best tools i have in my shed ... :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've got the pro edge David. I could never get an edge on any of my tools but now they're always sharp.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I'm pretty sure Santa has brung me one well it was on my wish list LOL I have seen the pro edge in action and was impressed and seeing as I am setting up a new workshop I thought why not I have had a wet stone grinder and yes they work but not for regrinding a new edge on a tool they run to slow also after grinding some gouges the wheel has to be dressed to get rid of the ridges before you can sharpen a skew

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Not a gloat :goesred: but I have both the Tormek & the pro edge amongst others & for turning tools the only one that gets used is the pro edge.

Does it all & to be honest, even though I have a few jigs for it, I don't use them preferring to just grind my gouges freehand on the tool rest as it's so easy to use.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
I'm sorry I bought the Tormek + jigs. The stone is too soft - there's a trench deeper than the Grand Canyon in mine! A lot of it is probably my fault but...

I'm using a grinder now. OK because I use mainly scrapers.

Bob.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
David,

From visiting world masters of turning at exhibitions classes and seminars with the best they all spend very little time at grinding their tools where the pro edge etc come into their own is in joinery, furniture another consideration. Sometimes I will grind five to ten tools that sees me through a session so this can be done in prep time not turning time.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
The pro edge is a linisher and that is what the industry have used for years to sharpen tools and cutlery and if its good enough for them well that speaks for itself

L200arg

Graduate Member
I had the record whet stone grinder and jigs but only kept it for 6 month it seemed to take an age to sharpen my tools then I saw a demo at turners retreat for the pro edge I was well impressed so I bought one and sold the record one,

Best move I ever made...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).