• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sorby Pro Edge put to the test

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well took my pro edge in the workshop before Walter tried to get his hands on it again LOL

I got the basic set up no fancy jigs and to be honest I don't think I will bother but I can see were some people will benefit from them it is a very solid bit of kit runs very quiet I started with it set at 45deg and the first gouges I tried was two roughing gouges my angle was a bit out but it soon sorted that out and within seconds they were both very sharp then my bowl gouges and the angle on them was out as well so I changed the belt to 60 grit two wing bolts and the flick of a lever job done metal was removed very quickly on all 8 bowl and spindle gouges change the belt back to 120 grit and a quick flick all sharp even the fingernail profile on my bowl gouges next 3 parting tools reset the tool rest angle which again only takes seconds undo a finger grip nut ans flick the locking lever move to the appropriate position and do the lever and nut up no spanners required and sharpened in no time
In my opinion this is the ideal machine for those of you who have problems sharpening normally I sharpen free hand with no problems at all but as I am refitting my workshop I thought id give this machine a go and to be honest I had no problems at all with it if you set the table at the right angle then you cant go wrong I know because I tried the tool lays flat on a substantial table and if you really want a sharp edge you will get one the jigs from what I can see can only enhance the use of this little beauty
The small booklet is quite good as well it tells you all the angles you need and all the jigs you may need also there are some different belts that will polish your edge if you want to like for carving chisels and knives and it will take a mop or strop wheel on the side
I am one happy bunny and I hope this will be of some help to someone

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for that Woody, i bought a couple of used tools at the Harrogate show the other week and this machine had them reshaped and sharpened in no time ... Tis a good tool to have in the shed ... :thumbs:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Thanks for that Woody, you're spot on with your evaluation. I've not gone near my oilstones since I got the proedge

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
A nice write up dad and I am glad you are happy with your new toy.
I am still unsure that I could justify the cost when I get the edge I require as is.
Maybe some kind person will leave one in their will for me and I will forever tell of the luxury. :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
A nice write up dad and I am glad you are happy with your new toy.
I am still unsure that I could justify the cost when I get the edge I require as is.
Maybe some kind person will leave one in their will for me and I will forever tell of the luxury. :thumbs:

If I still had my old set up Brian then I wouldn't have got one either but I had to get something and this appealed to me a Creusen slow grinder which is what I once had would have cost about the same

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I just bought a new bench grinder with the whetstone on it for doing the knives with.
Must admit it's a nice toy as it is a slow grinder and don't chew the metal to pieces in seconds and overheat as soon as it touches.
All part of getting old and lazy I spose I used to enjoy sitting and polishing / honing but not these days I wanna see it done before I start now init?

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
The choice I have is a planer / thicknesser or one of these - undecided.
I have a Scheppach wet grinder which is good in its own way but a lot of ar$ing about getting & storing water in the shed.

Saved some of my birthday / Christmas fair / Christmas present money.

decisions decisions

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
The choice I have is a planer / thicknesser or one of these - undecided.
I have a Scheppach wet grinder which is good in its own way but a lot of ar$ing about getting & storing water in the shed.

Saved some of my birthday / Christmas fair / Christmas present money.

decisions decisions
It will knock a wet stone grinder into a cocks hat Steven

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Really glad you like the Pro Edge Woody, not that I ever thought you wouldn't, it really is a great bit of kit for turning tools, saves me hours not having to dress the Tormek stone every time I want to grind a flat blade :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Really glad you like the Pro Edge Woody, saves me hours not having to dress the Tormek stone every time I want to grind a flat blade :thumbs:

That is one point I picked up on Doug I stopped using wet stones years ago for that very reason

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Woody,

I am impressed with your users stamp of approval using the Pro Edge tooling it must be very satisfying to achieve such accuracy with such a variety of tools you described. I have bought a couple of special devices and a horizontal water wheel to acheive much of this but because of difficulty in my organisation of large space locating everything occasionally is difficult. I feel for you as you describe your previous set ups/workshops but get excited when as you have described new tools give you great satisfaction.

All the best for New Year 2014 mate. Look forward to your products. Also how you relocate your stuff from your Christmas Stall using your special vehicle.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Woody,

I am impressed with your users stamp of approval using the Pro Edge tooling it must be very satisfying to achieve such accuracy with such a variety of tools you described. I have bought a couple of special devices and a horizontal water wheel to acheive much of this but because of difficulty in my organisation of large space locating everything occasionally is difficult. I feel for you as you describe your previous set ups/workshops but get excited when as you have described new tools give you great satisfaction.

All the best for New Year 2014 mate. Look forward to your products. Also how you relocate your stuff from your Christmas Stall using your special vehicle.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:
Thank you Peter it has been fun investigating and acquiring new equipment and of course getting used to new methods some times us old uns need a bit of a nudge LOL Peter I hope you and your family have a wonderful 2014 I to look forward to seeing some more of your masterpieces

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).