• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Time to go

jttheclockman

Recently i have asked a few questions trying to get some chitchat going but it looks like I may have overstepped some sort of line in the sand or touched on things that are not entertaining. Maybe there is still resentment of me from other sites and it has carried over here. I do not want to bring any bad carma or disturb the force here so I am stepping away from yet another forum.

Enjoyed the short time here. I am sorry if i ruffled any feathers or awakened any old feelings. Was not my intention.

Jim, if you would you could delete any past posts I made. Thank you for the time.

I will leave you with this thought. May you all Have a great New Year and hope all your pens turn out exactly as you planned.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
John, I haven't seen any evidence of what you say, maybe its the British sense of humour. I have enjoyed your pens and posts too. Please reconsider your decision.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have seen no evidence of what you are saying but it seems strange that by reading some of your post this happens quite often to you are you sure it is other people or just you being over sensitive and expecting to much from other people any way I do wish you all the best with your pen turning ideas

Jim

Grand Master
John, i understand where you are coming from and i have seen the same posts that you have which probably were the ones that made you decide to leave. This forum was opened for the purpose of what you and many others here have brought, to not only share but to teach and have good banter along the way. In a way i blame myself for your decision for not acting on what i saw as unnecessary replies. I may have to change the way i admin these forums to stop this happening again, i do not wish to lose contributors for the sake of replies to posts that have no meaning or not within the context of the thread. I hope you reconsider your decision giving time for change.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
John, I have pm'd you and hope you reconsider your decision on leaving the forum.

Its people like you that help make the forum what it is today, we have all gained from your threads and benefitted from your experience and expertise.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
John please reconsider I for one dont want you to go i think what you bring to the forum is great I dont know who or what negatives have made you feel this way but ignore it there are more positives here who enjoy what you do a if you leave then they win we all loose there are times when people do things to piss me off
but i ignore it and focus on the good not that i cant take It but some people dont think about what they are posting and are insensitive to others feelings we are all different with a common interest ...so please reconsider ....And one more thing to all banter is good sarcasm is rude.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
John.
The idea is to give as good as you get, not to run away.
Yes I know you from the past, no you have not ruffled any feathers.
You won't settle anywhere with this attitude John, stay and join in the banter.
Unfortunately we are not all happy clappy Yanks here and some of us prefer plain speaking whether it please or offend.
I feel the comments you refer to are probably mine and would hate to think I had chased you away from yet another forum.
A forum full of brown tongues is as staid as any other, there are many of those around but very few like this one where you can speak honestly and give and take the ridicule that will come.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Going down the pub is a quintessential English pursuit thought to be understood by many around the world but fundamentally rather less, in fact very few. You could remove the core ingredient from the "Visit down the pub", the beer, and you would still get visitors (dont take me too literally), but if you took away the banter, the beer could be great but the attendance would fall.

Down the pub, everyman is equal. Every pair of jeans carrys the same paint stains, the same DIY marks regardless of whether the wearer peddles stocks, thieves insurance premiums or is a respectable plumber.

What do we look for in our forum, is it the beer or the banter? It isn't a technical forum that's for sure, it is a self help group of enthusiasts for definite and we are all enjoying reinventing the wheel. Everything we have done and will do has probably been done elsewhere, but there is no fun in discovering someone else did it first!

The other thing we don't do well is egos here. Everyone has been accepted for their own level of incompetence, measure someone from the bottom up and see how far they have climbed, measure them from the top down and see how far they have to fall!

We've all learnt al lot, and we've all got a lot more to learn, but learning has to be done alongside competence and confidence and more importantly from the British perspective, with the banter. I'm not being disrespectful to our overseas subscribers, nor trying to suggest we are in any way elite, but how else could you explain Brian to a wider audience? We are different as are all cultures, be they of the same racial origins.

Every forum, like every pub, has its different core regulars, some go into the pub, don't fit in and move to the next pub, and eventually they find one they enjoy. There are some cracking posts on the IAP forum, but personally I find it the best cure for insomnia known to man. I'd rather dredge the answer from hours of mistaken experience and learn myself than wade through the IAP forum annals.

We need to grow organically. Some of the forums will please some of the people all of the time, some will please some of the people some of the time and all of the forums will never please all of the people all of the time.

John,

Your experience is plentiful, your knowledge extensive and I hope that you find a forum in which you will settle and enjoy both your beer and your banter. With best wishes for your forum future.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well I think it would be a shame, the pens I've seen you post gave me something to strive for as I (hopefully) get better.

I do hope you reconsider.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
1. Jim, I don't think you should change the way you admin these forums. Yes, there are unnecessary posts, and yes, I did draw in a quick breath when I saw Brian's responses to John's posts. BUT ... As Neil has so eloquently stated, that's the beer and banter in this pub. Change it, and a lot more regulars might find they no longer fit in. For all his flaws Brian is our Grump and we wouldn't want him any other way. Under his grumpy exterior he is one of the kindest, most generous men I know, so I can put up with his occasional foibles ...

2. John, as Neil has said so persuasively argued, in this forum we leave egos at the door and we share without expectation. I sensed that you wanted more from a forum - perhaps a community of like-minded souls wanting to break new ground and experiment in ever more radical ways - and were gently trying to nudge us all in that direction. It will never happen; at best you might hope for one or two kindred spirits like mikespenturningz (who continues to nip at ankles at IAP and produce wondrous pens to tease both the eye and the imagination) with whom you might form a little support group. Personally I was surprised at how receptive our members were to your ideas - the multi-material celtic knot produced a frenzy of activity which I would have found most gratifying were I you. For the most part forum members have their own agendas, not many will align with yours. If you leave I wish you well, if you are persuaded to stay then please continue to tantalise us with your prowess, but do so without expectation. And ignore the trolls ...

3. Who thought Neil could put up such a good post? :face: He must be our Cliff Clayven ... :devil:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
John.
The idea is to give as good as you get, not to run away.
Yes I know you from the past, no you have not ruffled any feathers.
You won't settle anywhere with this attitude John, stay and join in the banter.
Unfortunately we are not all happy clappy Yanks here and some of us prefer plain speaking whether it please or offend.
I feel the comments you refer to are probably mine and would hate to think I had chased you away from yet another forum.
A forum full of brown tongues is as staid as any other, there are many of those around but very few like this one where you can speak honestly and give and take the ridicule that will come.

Brian,

I feel that you have mellowed over the Christmas break, the period obviously gave you the time for mental rebuilding and reflection. So why did it fail? Speak your mind man and don't hide behind metaphors!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Brian,

I feel that you have mellowed over the Christmas break, the period obviously gave you the time for mental rebuilding and reflection. So why did it fail? Speak your mind man and don't hide behind metaphors!

Do I get the impression you are calling me mental and accusing me of hiding? Mental yes, hiding no. I am to fat to hide, to old to run, period yes my gums bleed every 28 days. Metaphors are as polite as my vocabulary will allow.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
In the unlikely event that I were ever to be offended by anyone on this forum to the extent that it made me feel unwelcome I would just leave by the simple expedient of stopping posting. I can see no point in announcing one's departure and leaving in high dudgeon. This is a pen making forum, not an amateur dramatic society.

I can see no need for you to change your moderation style Jim. There is a level of good old fashioned friendly banter here that few other forums can match.

dotslad

Graduate Member
John I for one hope you will reconsider and stay with us. Your posts are great and very informative and enjoyable to all on the forum I for one will miss your input so why not give the forum a little more time and you never know perhaps you will enjoy it as I do.
best regards Ian

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I dont know why every one is surprised sadly I could sense something like this was going to happen right from his first post and by the sound of it this is something that is always happening to this guy I think he just needs to grow up and get on and enjoy life
But it is a shame because he did have a lot to offer and is obviously a talented guy and we would al have enjoyed his pens and some would no doubt have enjoyed trying some of his ideas out as some have already done
Also Jim I dont think you need to change anything you are running this show just how we all like it we all know there is no malice meant with the banter if you look into Johns post this isn't the first time this has happened and by the sound of it, it wont be the last its not the world that needs to change it is him sadly as the old saying goes there's nowt as strange as folk and no matter what you do you will never please every body there will always be one

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).