• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How is this tool used...?

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Guys,

Had this given to me by wifey. I've seen similar chisels but never used one myself. There are two thin attachments with beveled tips, plus two others with angled edges. The tool is from the Crown "Cryogenic" range (whatever that means!)
Any info is appreciated, chaps.

Bob.

DSCN0004.JPGDSCN0003.JPG

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Yep they are just scraping tool bits similar to the Sorby system from the looks of them.

The thinner bit is used for hollowing, it can be a bit grabby.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
As above Bob exactly right.
Use the flat of the shaft against the tool rest for stability you can hold it on with a jubilee clip if you don't have the jig which will stop it grabbing in theory.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
WOW! Many thanks for this info, guys! Actually it's lucky I asked because I've only ever used a scraper with the most prominent beveled edge doing the cutting. I didn't know that cutting can also be done with the "underside" of the bevel. Dear me, ignorance is bliss, ennit!

Thanks again!

Bob.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Morning Woody,

Nice pick up by the missus alias SWMBO the term Cryogenic means the last word in fine grained metal its the very freezing they gave Walt Disney (extreme cold) in the making process. One time this metal was hard as but coarse graine meant the finish was not as good as tool steel etc. Now you will get a keen fine edge however there is a counterpart guess diamond sharpening may apply to these tips.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

naxie

Registered
Funnily enough I have one also and used it for the first time last weekend in ages, hollowing out a bird house for my father as a christmas gift!
Its a nice tool but you cant go too deep, well without a bit of a fight on your hands.:winking:

Nice pressy, I didnt get any tools at all this year and im still sulking. :sob:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
LOL! Guys!!!

Thanks for the info once again. Once I get organised fitting all my new stuff in the workshop I'll be having a crack with this tool!

Jim, funny enough, I have a vase I'd given up on because of the end grain. This will be one to have another go at to try out the chisel!

Bob.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
WTF...???

Hi, guys,

Well, with some trepidation I mounted a part-turned bowl on the lathe, switched on at lowest speed, and began trying to hollow out the inside, as per the posted videos. Twenty seconds later the cutting tip snapped off. Annoying thing is - I knew this would happen! My view before using the tip was that because of the steel's thinness it could not possibly withstand the sideways pressure exerted by the spinning wood. I was right!!! I'm bloody annoyed because I can't see what I did wrong, despite mulling over my actions. The speed was low, I did not go charging into the work, and I was holding the tool at the recommended angle. Like I said in the original post the tool is made by Crown so, presumably, is not crap. I have no suspicions re the other cutters shown in my post - they are solid pieces of kit and are robust enough to do their job, but I'm questioning whether these tip thingies, which are no thicker than matchsticks, are capable of producing the goods!

I'll be grateful for your comments, guys. (But don't suggest returning them to Axminster - remember the old adage that a bad craftsman always blames his tools. This is what they will think, too!) LOL!

Bob.

Broken....JPG

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Well Bob all I can say is he makes it look easy in the film.
Did you have it fitted the correct way around, with the round toward the outside for cutting in the right direction?
Did you have the tip sticking out to far from the tool?
Did you pierce the centre of the wood first or start from the outside edge.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I think from the 1 pic it looks upside down the bevel should slope down under the flat surface it looks to far out and at the wrong angle if your doing the bottom of a vase maybe you went to deep.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, chaps,

If you look at the first piccies the chisel is on its (rounded) back. The face you see is flat, and in use will sit on the tool bar. The angle of that cutter is how I purchased the tool and used it. There was a hole in the centre of the bowl already, and I was intending to widen the lip of this when tip broke.

I notice on the posted Sorby tutorial that their tip appears to be thicker(?)

Bob.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Yours does look rather thin I have to say.
Sorry I can't really help mate I use an old ground down drill bit for hollowing small stuff init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).