• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Radiused Rolled Edge Skew

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Like a normal skew but lift the handle as you grind so as to follow the curve.

What are you sharpening the skew on?

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
It's easy on the pro edge, set the tool rest to the grind angle, I start at the tip & rotate to the heal keeping the side of the skew firmly on the tool rest, turn it over & repeat.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I just ground an old skew to this shape about 2 weeks ago its quite easy Jim but on a new tool you may be scared of damaging it so practice on an old skew good luck.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have one and sharpened it on a disk on the lathe in much the same way Doug dose on the pro edge I will take a photo tomorrow for you

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I do mine in much the same way on the sanding disk but free hand
Doug what belt do you use on your pro edge

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I tend to use the 60 Zirconium for shaping & the 120 for sharpening, if I want a sharper edge on HSS turning tools I use the Trizact 600

Thank you Doug I will get some of them I only have the two belts that come with it

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Hi Doug you look like you put a fairly large radius on your skew how do you find it Iv thought of doing it that way but just not tried it yet Frankie.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Job done new belts ordered thank you Doug now back to sorting my workshop

My pleasure mate, hope you've got sorted, from the amount of gear Santa (sorry Ed Father Christmas) bought you I doubt there's room for you in the shop now :bwink::funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).