• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Candle holder thingy!

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
My brother rang me tonight and asked if I could turn something in a hurry (for tomorrow morning!) didn't matter how rough it was (well he came to the right place then) :winking:

So...... with an emailed design from him in one hand, one of the 3 turning tools I own in the other and a couple of scrap mahogany offcuts on the lathe, I gritted my teeth and put tool to wood for the first time in 15 years:nooidea: Candle won't be lit and it's a temporary holder so no heat problems.

Didn't have time to hone the tools and I'm more than a bit rusty but it's confirmed that I'm really going to enjoy turning again. Now where's that postie with my mandrel and pen kits!!!

Attachments

• candle holder.jpg
    candle holder.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 61

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well Lons there are some nice clean lines there with some good basic shapes and some nice crisp corners in all a very good effort with a superb finish for a first effort in 15 years that is very good well done it wont be long before your up there with the rest of them

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I would be proud of that, mate! Well done! Looking forward to more from you ...
Thanks Woody and David
Actually I think it's horrible but it's what my brother wants.

It was great to put a gouge to a bit of spinning wood and see the the corners fly off and realise just how much I've missed turning and a relief to find I can still produce shavings without dig in. I've always regretted selling my last lathe but especially the tools as they were nearly all Sorby gouges.
I got a shock when I realised what it's going to cost me to replace so it will be only as I need then=m now. I'm hoping the mandrel and pen kits arrive today so I can have a go.

Bob

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Bob I think you have been kidding us saying you have been away from turning for 15 years LOL Joking aside that is a nice bit of turning. The shape and form will come back sooner than you think. Thanks for posting!!!

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Yep, I agree with the others - a nice bit of turning/finishing after all those years. Well done, Bob!

Bob.

Attachments

• 20160908_101228.jpg
    20160908_101228.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 2

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Nicely turned and finished. Now that you have been grabbed by the hand of the lord of the lathes you will never be let go again. :thumbs: I look forward to seeing some of your pens.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Lons,

See just like riding a bike mate works for you and for us a thing of joy for your brother.

Neat shape.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
It is clear to see you are rusty Lons, nothing that a few months of practice wouldn't put right ... :thinks:

But seriously this is a nice piece indeed and it is hard to believe you have been out of turning for such a long time and still turn quality like this ... Well done Sir ... :thumbs:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Bob, as penpal says its just like riding a bike - you never forget, although in my case I've had a few punctures

keith

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Thanks guys.

I've got the wd40 ready for the rust and repair outfit for the punctures.
My sister in law was delighted (easily pleased), so brother is ecstatic as it got him a few much needed brownie points so that's all that matters. You should see the candle they've put on it, very ornate hand made from Blackpool, not my taste at all but that's what makes the world go around!

Mandrel and pen kits arrived this morning but wifie has family plans for the morrow so it'll have to wait. Might get a chance to do some sharpening though.

Bob

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Bob as a newbie I'm not at all qualified to comment on your skills ..but even so I think your piece looks great :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).