• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

And another one bites the...err...mud.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
How sad...

Just seen a grand, 200-plus year-old horse chestnut lying on the grass in the local park. How sad it looks, much the same as seeing a dead whale on the beach. Consider - this tree saw the Battles of Trafalgar and Waterloo come and go, two World Wars,and everything else since! What gets me is that it didn't collapse through age or disease but because its roots couldn't hold it up in the flooded ground. We won't see the likes of it ever again, for as good-intentioned as we are, if we plant a tree in its place then twenty years down the road it will be deemed to be in the way of something called progress - and down it will come! I'm feeling very melancholy at the loss (plus I can't get ahold of any of the wood!)

Bob.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Bob,

Phone up the local council and ask to speak to the trees Officer. If they say "we dont have a trees officer" ask to speak to the person who you report dangerous trees to, and that will get you through to the right person. They will tell you when the clearance team will have been contracted to move it and ask if you attend site can you have a few pieces as you are a local resident and wood turner and can put the pieces he is about to let you have to good use.

I got five tons of False Acacia on one occasion!

Jim

Grand Master
I hear what you say Bob, and agree it is a sad occasion and one which could have been helped had you got a few logs from it ... :bwink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Be careful Bob you seem to be developing feelings,
Feelings of an almost human nature. This will not do. Call the schoolmaster!
Enough Floyd.
That is truly sad mate you plant a seed as a young lad and watch it grow for all those years only for it to be taken from you.
As Neil says get in touch with your local authority and see if they can drop a log or two your way from it, then at least somebody can remember what did grow there.
Its nice to be able to leave something behind when we shuffle off this could be a golden opportunity for you.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).