• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

As promised photos of my sanding jig

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Recently I puchased a belt and disc sander as I was fed up using the lathe as a sanding accessory.
I looked in the IAP library for ideas for a jig to square my blanks and also Peter (Penpal) posted his version for ideas. (Thanks Peter)
In both cases these jigs used an old mandrel to put the blank on to allow the blank to offered up squarely to the disc face.
The only problem for me is that generally I make pens with a larger brass tube than the slimline so therefore I would have to make sleeves to accomodate each tube size
When i squared my blank on the lathe I had a sanding disc mounted in the headstock and a chuck with the correct size transfer punch in the chuck and this would square off my blank perfectly so I set about making a dedicated one for by belt and disc sander.

Photo 1 shows a mitre bar fitted to the underside of an MDF sled which slots into the sanding machine mitre slot allowing the sled to traverse parallel to the sanding face.
Photo 2 shows the top side of the sled which has a piece of angle iron fastened to it and a chuck bolted to the angle iron, The chuck is accurately set at 90 deg to the sanding face.
Photo 3 shows the jig in position with a transfer punch in the chuck.
Photo 4 shows a blank on the transfer punch ready to be squared off.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    374.8 KB · Views: 461
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 460
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 454
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 456

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That looks good Terry I have just finished setting up my sander so I may be copying your idea thanks for showing it mate your not such a plonker after all LOL

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
That looks good Terry I have just finished setting up my sander so I may be copying your idea thanks for showing it mate your not such a plonker after all LOL

Be my guest Woody. With the tube bang on 90 degs to the sanding surface it means the wood is spot on too. You can also put any transfer punch you want to suit the brass tube of your choice. If you want a bolt for your chuck they are 1/2 in UNF and they are getting more difficult to get a hold of but I have a couple of spares if you need one !!!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Be my guest Woody. With the tube bang on 90 degs to the sanding surface it means the wood is spot on too. You can also put any transfer punch you want to suit the brass tube of your choice. If you want a bolt for your chuck they are 1/2 in UNF and they are getting more difficult to get a hold of but I have a couple of spares if you need one !!!

Yes please Terry let me know how much I owe you I have just ordered a chuck on ebay for £8

Jim

Grand Master
Excellent idea of using the punches Terry, and a nice looking jig, simple but perfect ... Thanks for sharing... :thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Plonkertastic Terry, you trying to lose the chairmanship by showing your ingenuity & guile?:bwink:

Looks excellent mate, well made :thumbs::thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Good one Terry,

Looks to me you had fun on the way, my only mistake with the sanding set up of mine is the disk is stuck on with removable glue? sticks like tar to a tomcat, intend to fit velcro backed at the next replace.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Terry it looks great exactly as i thought it would well done mate i have an old keyless chuck i might make one also thanks for showing it .Frankie

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Terry it looks great exactly as i thought it would well done mate i have an old keyless chuck i might make one also thanks for showing it .Frankie

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Just discovered this thread. What a great idea and one I'll be copying if you don't mind Terry.
I have an Axi 6 x 10" belt / disc model and no easy way of squaring until my barrel trimmer is delivered and... I love jigs:banana:

Ta for that.

Bob

ps where abouts are you in Hull?
I lived near Beverley for 3 years many moons ago (before the Humber bridge was built), until I escaped and came home from foreign soil:winking:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Just discovered this thread. What a great idea and one I'll be copying if you don't mind Terry.
I have an Axi 6 x 10" belt / disc model and no easy way of squaring until my barrel trimmer is delivered and... I love jigs:banana:

Ta for that.

Bob

ps where abouts are you in Hull?
I lived near Beverley for 3 years many moons ago (before the Humber bridge was built), until I escaped and came home from foreign soil:winking:

No problem Bob. I live in a new development called Kinswood Parks which is near Dunswell. Before that I lived in a small village called Wawne. Do you know it???

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).