• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My very first turned object

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Tasmanian Blackwood has a sheen like shot silk ties, this my first attempt at turning anything wood in the 80,s.

Difficult timber softish but beautiful. By now I have given all my bowls, boxes etc to family I kept this for sentimental reasons.

All I wanted to turn was a pen probably same feeling now. Next thing that week was a perfume dispenser for Wilma.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Attachments

• DSCF0028.JPG
    DSCF0028.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0017.jpg
    DSCF0017.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 48

Jim

Grand Master
Very nice to see first items Peter, i have a bowl somewhere that was my first that i will add at some time soon ... :bwink:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
That's a smashing piece for a first effort Peter, a natural at this turning:claps:

My first turning was done in the 70's when I was a kid at school, my dad bought me & my brother a set of Marples chisels & a drill powered lathe. I still have the lathe & drill somewhere, the chisels are still used occasionally but having been superseded by HSS they don't see much action other than being reshaped to make specific tools, my rounded skew being on of them.
So instead of still having my first turned items I've kept the gear I made them on, probably for the best to :whistling:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
For a first item that is excellent Peter. I would be proud of that if I did it now.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I have kept the first ever pen that I turned ,I use it every day and will never part with it.It's nothing special, in fact it's awful, but there's something about a first timer .

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
When Wilma and I considered marriage over our three yr courtship she said I will enjoy working for a few yrs to which I replied as a 4th yr Apprentice if I cant afford to keep you we dont get married guess I must feel the same way about relationships. I had up to three jobs at a time to allow me the privilidge of backing up what I said. My old neighbor used to say (he was from Manchester) a thruppenny pie will cost you 6 pence well it came to two bob with the final count of eight of us. He the neighbor came to Australia before 1927 was a carpenter on The Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Thanks for the kind words.:thumbs:

Kind regards Peter.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
He the neighbor came to Australia before 1927 was a carpenter on The Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Thanks for the kind words.:thumbs:

Kind regards Peter.

Come on now Peter .... that little bridge isn't made from wood ...is it ? :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).