• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Eye candy camphor laurel

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
A friend of mine Col Hosie was domiciled here in Canberra as a Manual Arts Teacher for ever now owns GIFKINS DOVETAIL (have a gaze at his web sites in Google well worth looking) well he now lives in the heart of Camphor growing areas 10 to 12 hrs from Canberra on the Nth Coast of NSW at Coffs Harbour., he used to buy quantities of this timber for students projects please find a seat of a stool made by a 14 yr old. IMHO for pens its difficult to capture the grain but platters , bowls, Furniture it excels. what thinkest thou fellas.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Attachments

• DSCF0006-128.JPG
    DSCF0006-128.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 56

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
That is some beaut timber :love_it:

What's it like to work with hand tools Peter, do you get a lot of tear out?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That wood is gorgeous Peter and what a piece? Made by a 14yr old? he must be a super teacher.

Jim

Grand Master
Beautiful wood, and a well made object by a lad as young as this ... :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Gorgeous wood but like you say Peter the full impact would probably be lost on a pen .

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Careful finishing relatively easy in furniture but a 3 feet platter use an angle drill and pad to finish mongrel by hand. These trees grow fast and tall as.

Kind regards Peter. PS I have a carver mate whose nose bleeds badly whenever he works this timber, camphor smell is strong with me it clears my sinuses.:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
My Mum used to buy Camphor oil rub it on your chest to clear your sinuses
It is a beautiful bit wood on that stool Peter and yes it has a very strong spicy smell when being worked

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Thanks for the pic, Peter, it's truly inspiring, and a lovely piece of wood. Respects to the young lad who made this - he's going places!!!

Bob.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Peter have I seen this chair and heard that story before?
Not that there is anything wrong in that, it's simply that I am sure I remember marveling over that chair in a previous life.
It sure is a beauty.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I am reminded often a close friend of ours is a natural health freak now 96 yrs of age I remember her in her 40,s so delicate in health my mate her husband was forced todo most everything around the house she was so delicte she outlived him so far by twenty years anyway this lady when she embraced her new diet etc started taking a medicine called Swedish Bitters this is loaded with Camphor quite takes your breath away but every time I get an upset tum I take some in water invaluable for me especially heartburn etc.

Yes I did show the chair before however membership has increased enormously since then Brian I have no doubt it was fresh news to many people.

Peter.

Jim

Grand Master
"Swedish Bitters" may just get a few google hits now Peter .. :ciggrin:

And that chair is still so beautiful .. :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
And seeing it again today is still the treat it was on the first occasion.
I am still thoroughly impressed with it and the skills of the young person who created it.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks Brian, Terry I appreciate that I spoke to the the parents and the boy at the exhibition opening then the teacher an old friend of mine from the Wood Club and showered my praise all round previous teachers of manual arts from this Catholic College had for years taken out our major prizes with incredible like the stool Platters up to three foot across with blistering grain like that. My mate now lives in this country area where it abounds used to bring in a truck load every year for the local schools. The lady of the Swedish Bitters was a follower of a world famous practitioner and has a nip of the bitters each and every day over here its only available at health food stores and yes its a saver for me and my family as well through some very serious times.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).