• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lathe cupboard.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I said to Jim I`d post this up, so here is the cupboard I made for under my lathe.
The main reason I constructed it was to add stability to the lathe, I can`t fix my lathe down as it stands near the door of the workshop & occasionally has to be moved to allow access, it`s a nightmare to move as it is, so adding more obstacles such as fixings is definitely not going to happen :rant:

The exterior of the cupboard is made from 18mm MDF & is finished with blackboard paint as I happened to have some left over from a project.

It has no handles as I didn`t want anything sticking out that would catch my legs, I had intended to add repelling catches but like the best laid plans......lets say its not happened yet :whistling:
It stands on CLS battens bolted to the legs of the lathe, this allowed me to move the cupboard forward & back before fixing it to the battens so I knew it was in a good position for me standing at the lathe & wouldn`t get in the way.

One of the biggest bonuses of fitting the cupboard has been the shelf it provides for placing tools etc on whilst turning meaning things stay close to hand,I also fitted drawers inside which has given me loads of much needed storage.

I`m sure the eagle-eyed amongst you will notice the dovetails on the drawers are the wrong way round, the drawers were made for a cancelled project & so I decided to utilize them in the cupboard even though they had to go this way round, they`ve held up these last 2 years so I`m passed worrying :funny:

The drawers are on Oak runners as this was the easiest way to get round the drawers having to get past the euro hinges, with Oak strips fixed above the drawers they work surprisingly well.
Finally a photo with the new separator & vacuum fitted behind the lathe, it`s working well as can be seen from how tidy it is :banana::banana:

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for this Doug, but i should have known that it wouldn't be straight forward and not easy to make .. Why can't you use string and cardboard like all us DIY'ists .. :thumbs:

This will be a great help Doug for sure ... :bwink:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for this Doug, but i should have known that it wouldn't be straight forward and not easy to make

Nothing difficult there Jim especially for a man of your calibre, :kiss:

I`ve just started gluing up 2 bedside tables, definitely a job I wish I hadn`t taken :whistling::whistling:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Looks good Doug I may do something like that at a latter date I had something like that under a Record CL4 a few years back

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Thats really neat Doug, a great utilisation of wasted space. Do you knock your knees on it?

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
If I had to guess who that nice clean tidy set up belonged to ...it would be you Doug.:thumbs:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Doug, thats great. Giving me some ideas as I have aleady made a bench for my lathe but nothing under except crap, its a dumping ground. Like your idea of the cupboard with the drawers. :thumbs::thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Just like that famous actress in that pencil black dress all those years ago your outfit is quite a snappy number as I scrolled down the pics my first impression was how neat and coming to the top of the cupboard but wait theres more a great shelf on top with clearance inside those wonderful drawers then the revelation of your dust extraction etc one could say and I do now a complete package, ready to go and I do admire the layout and tidyness. Around my main Pen Turning the lathe has seen many reincarnations each one increasing the direct usefulness and ease of access. Thankyou Doug a breath of fresh air well photographed and seen mate.

Kind regards Peter.:eeeeek::rock::camera::claps:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).