• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

two questions about casting

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
first question is what do u use for your casting?

second question is dose the cold affect the casting

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Hey mate, as far as i know we have only Jim who is into casting at the moment, i am sure he will be along shortly to answer the questions. We also have The Wood Bucket who is also dabbling with casting buut not seen him for a few days now. :nooidea:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I can answer about the cold and Polyester Resin, here in the UK the best time for casting is when we have warm weather, thou the cast will set in cold weather, it takes much longer when the temperature is around 7 or 8 Celsius, below this i would forget the attempt of casting. :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
If you mean what material used for the castings then its Clear Polyester Resin, i find this gives much less air bubbles than the General Purpose Resins that are available. :bwink:

Regarding the second question, yes it certainly does, i have found this out the hard way. I bought one of these from ebay to help with the procedure of my castings. :thumbs:

OVEN.jpg

Hope this helps ...

Jim

Grand Master
That sure will work Bellringer, for the colouring i use Pearl Mica Colour Powder which can be bought on ebay also ... :thumbs:

Where are you located Bellringer? :thinks:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
If you mean what material used for the castings then its Clear Polyester Resin, i find this gives much less air bubbles than the General Purpose Resins that are available. :bwink:

Regarding the second question, yes it certainly does, i have found this out the hard way. I bought one of these from ebay to help with the procedure of my castings. :thumbs:

View attachment 154

Hope this helps ...

What does the oven do mate? :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
It warms the resin a tad before using, and helps remove the tackiness during cold months. :bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
I only have it on low heat, to hot and the castings go very brittle and fall to pieces (shatter) when cutting them to size on the bandsaw ... :down:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).