• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Walnut price

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Just wondering if anyone had recently purchased any Walnut or knows what the price is for a cubic foot of Walnut, in particular part seasoned?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I bought a piece of 4' X 6" X 1" at Westonbirt arboretum this year for £8.00

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks Paul.

I'm trying to gauge what sort of price I should offer for the largest limbs of a very big tree.
The only dealings I've had with Walnut was a few years ago & if memory serves me right it was about £35 a cubic foot for kiln dried, so that compares with what you paid.
I know Walnut is in vogue at the moment so is fetching good money, I can foresee some bartering :thinks:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks Paul.

I'm trying to gauge what sort of price I should offer for the largest limbs of a very big tree.
The only dealings I've had with Walnut was a few years ago & if memory serves me right it was about £35 a cubic foot for kiln dried, so that compares with what you paid.
I know Walnut is in vogue at the moment so is fetching good money, I can foresee some bartering :thinks:

Count me in for some Doug... I'll happily buy some from you.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Count me in for some Doug... I'll happily buy some from you.

That's good to know Paul as they want me to buy it all which if I'm honest is far more than I need, hopefully I'll know more by the weekend

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Being branch wood it will probably have a very high percentage of sapwood and the price will vary according to the colouring, the darker the more expensive. I think the going rate is between 60 and 80 a cube for clean kiln dried. As this is branch wood, depending on the sapwood volume, wet and with a probable 30% wastage on the converted wood! I would be tempted to pay no more than 5-7.50 a cube. It's very unlikely that there is any commercial interest in the branch wood so you should be able to pick it up cheaply.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Good timber are currently quoting 60 quid a cubic foot, air dried. I picked up some lovely coloured walnut that was cut for gunstocks in Turkey (still Jutland Regis -same as English walnut) each piece was 2.5 x7.5 x 21 inches and I paid a tenner a piece, about 44quid a cube. It was dry, clean and beautifully coloured and figured. If they want you to buy the lot sounds to me as if they are looking for a site clearance exercise rather than a commercial sale? Best of luck

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
The trunk is included in the sale, there is between 14 & 16" of very dark heartwood in that, plus the very large limbs which have a lot of heartwood in.
I've only seen the cut up pieces but it must have been a very large tree judging by the sections, it's just a shame that it hasn't been cut down with a lot of thought, the longest sections are 3'. If whoever cut it down had known what it was worth it would have made some superb boards, then again I wouldn't have been offered it if it had.

Just to add it was originally been ear marked as fire wood until someone I know suggested I'd be interested in it.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
In which case Doug it sounds like you could be up for a bargain although transportation is going to be expensive! I would have thought that the firewood price plus a pair of large matching salt and pepper mills should be a good starting offer?

Jim

Grand Master
Whatever you have left over Doug, i am sure we can give you a help in getting some cash back ... :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My best buys over the years was to get in with makers of gun stocks offcuts and undersizes for them ie for pen blanks I will photograph the A.C.T. Govt wood piles that get chipped around here great logs of this timber appear frequently there and some guys have rights to this timber then having shopped around , now I know others have already done this exercise trust you get a friendly deal one that is equitable for both parties.

Kind regards Peter. Interested to see this one play out mate.

:thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Good timber are currently quoting 60 quid a cubic foot, air dried. I picked up some lovely coloured walnut that was cut for gunstocks in Turkey (still Jutland Regis -same as English walnut) each piece was 2.5 x7.5 x 21 inches and I paid a tenner a piece, about 44quid a cube. It was dry, clean and beautifully coloured and figured. If they want you to buy the lot sounds to me as if they are looking for a site clearance exercise rather than a commercial sale? Best of luck

That is a good price Neil, Did you get them from a Turkish site? I've had a look and they want a fair amount on most web sites + of course the tax, delivery and whatever else.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
I think Neil deserves some special applause here. Whenever he replies to a query he always comes back with the bizz. He takes the trouble to research, and then gives us the benefit of his knowledge. He gives us a lot of his time. WELL DONE THAT MAN - MUCH APPRECIATED! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Bob.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I think Neil deserves some special applause here. Whenever he replies to a query he always comes back with the bizz. He takes the trouble to research, and then gives us the benefit of his knowledge. He gives us a lot of his time. WELL DONE THAT MAN - MUCH APPRECIATED! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Bob.

I can't agree more. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).